CUHK-HKEH-PWH International Ophthalmology Fellowship
Orbital & Oculoplastic Surgery
Orbital & Oculoplastic Surgery Programme Director:
Dr CHONG Kam Lung Kelvin
MB.ChB (Hon, CUHK), MRCS (Edin), FCOphth (HK), FHKAM (Ophth)
Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Coordinator, Orbital and Oculoplastic Surgery Service, New Territories East Cluster Ophthalmology Service
Honorary Associate Consultant, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
Honorary Associate Consultant, New Territories East Cluster Ophthalmology Service
Dr LEUNG Lai Chun Bonnie
Clinical Assistant Professor (Honorary), Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, CUHK
Associate Consultant, HKEH
The Orbital & Oculoplastic (OOP) Surgery Service of the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences operates at both the Hong Kong Eye Hospital and the Prince of Wales Hospital, the teaching hospitals of the Chinese University of Hong Kong. We serve the populations living in Kowloon and the eastern region of the New Territories in Hong Kong, and are well attended by over 150 patients each week
OOP Fellows of the CUHK-HKEH Joint International Ophthalmology Fellowship Programme will actively participate in all clinical services and we will provide in-depth study and comprehensive training in Oculoplastic and Orbital diseases. During the Fellowship, each Fellow are encourage to participate in various research projects. At the conclusion of the Fellowship, each Fellow should be confident in the diagnosis and treatment of common eyelid, lacrimal and orbital diseases.
- Hong Kong Eye Hospital and Prince of Wales Hospital
- At least 1 OOP Operating List per week at HKEH (Some of the operative sessions will take place at QEH)
- At least 1 OOP Operating List per week at PWH
- Operative sessions with other specialties (ENT, Plastic surgery, Maxillofacial surgery, Neurosurgery) at QEH or PWH
- Grand Round – OOP teaching, case presentation, topic discussion, journal club
- X ray meetings, combined Head and Neck Tumor Conference at Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- Pathology teaching at Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Surgical Procedures at Hong Kong Eye Hospital and Prince of Wales Hospital
- Eyelid surgeries including entropion and ectropion correction, various types of ptosis surgeries, blepharoplasties…etc.
- Eyelid tumor biopsy and resection techniques.
- Eyelid reconstruction techniques with the use of various flaps and grafts.
- Lacrimal surgeries including syringing and probing, external or endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy, balloon dacryoplasty, Jones tube insertion…etc.
- Socket surgeries including evisceration, enucleation, exenteration, orbital implant placement, socket reconstruction…etc.
- Orbital Surgeries including anterior, medial, lateral, inferior orbitotmoies, orbital decompression..etc
- Others (Repair of orbital fractures, repair of eyelid injuries, botox injection, nasal endoscopy)
Selected Recent Publications from Orbital & Oculoplastic Surgery
- LCheng AC, Wong AC, Sze AM, Yuen HK. Limited nasal septoplasty by ophthalmologists during endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy: is it safe? Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Jul-Aug;25(4):293-5.
- Chan RY, Pong JC, Yuen HK, Lai JS. Use of sodium hyaluronate and indocyanine green for conjunctival cyst excision. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 2009 May;53(3):270-271.
- Chong KK, Fan DS, Lai CH, Rao SK, Lam PT, Lam DS. Unilateral ptosis correction with mersilene mesh frontalis sling in infants: thirteen-year follow-up report. Eye (Lond). 2009 Mar 20.
- Ngai JW, Yuen HK, Li FC. An unusual case of eye itchiness. Hong Kong Med J. 2008 Oct;14(5):414-5.
- Cheuk W, Yuen HK, Chan AC, Shih LY, Kuo TT, Ma MW, Lo YF, Chan WK, Chan JK. Ocular adnexal lymphoma associated with IgG4+ chronic sclerosing dacryoadenitis: a previously undescribed complication of IgG4-related sclerosing disease. Am J Surg Pathol. 2008 Aug;32(8):1159-67.
- Cheuk W, Yuen HK, Chu SY, Chiu EK, Lam LK, Chan JK. Lymphadenopathy of IgG4-related Sclerosing Disease. Am J Surg Pathol. 2008 Aug;32(8):1159-67.
- Cheuk W, Yuen HK, Chan JK. Complication of IgG4-related chronic sclerosing dacryoadenitis by lymphoma. Arch Ophthalmol. 2008 Aug;126(8):1170
- Chong KK, Chiang SW, Wong GW, Tam PO, Ng TK, Hu YJ, Yam GH, Lam DS, Pang CP. Association of CTLA-4 and IL-13 gene polymorphisms with Graves’ disease and ophthalmopathy in Chinese children. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008 Jun;49(6):2409-15.
- Yuen HK, Cheng AC, Auyeung KC. Late onset occult CSF leakage after orbital exenteration. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008 May-Jun;24(3):238-40.
- Cheuk W, Yuen HK, Chan JK. Chronic Sclerosing Dacryoadenitis: Part of the Spectrum of IgG4-related Sclerosing Disease? Am J Surg Pathol. 2007 Apr;31(4):643-645.
- Cheng AC, Lucas PW, Yuen HK, Lam DS, So KF. Surgical Anatomy of the Chinese Orbit. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008 March/April;24(2):136-141.
- Lee GK, Yuen HK. Red eyes after a gang-fight. Hong Kong Med J. 2007 Feb;13(1):84-5.
- Yuen HK, Cheuk W, Cheng AC, Chan ANH, Chan N. Malignant Oncocytoma of the Lacrimal Sac as an Unusual Cause of Epiphora. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007 January/February;23(1):70-72.
- Chan CC, Shen D, Mochizuki M, Gonzales JA, Yuen HK, Guex-Crosier Y, Lehoang P.. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 2006;104:62-70
- Luk FO, Leung DY, Yuen HK, Lam DS. Late Leakage of Filtering Bleb in a patient with Orbital Pseudotumor. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2006 July-August;16(4):611-613.
- Shen D, Yuen HK, Galita DA, Chan NR, Chan CC. Detection of Chlamydia pneumoniae in a Bilateral Orbital Mucosa-Associated Lymphoid Tissue Lymphoma. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006 Jun;141(6):1162-3.
- Cheng AC, Yuen HK, Lucas PW, Lam DS, So KF. Characterization and localization of the supraorbital and frontal exits of the supraorbital nerve in Chinese – an anatomical study. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006 May/June;22(3):209-213.
- Wat CS, Yuen HK, Tse KK, Lam DS, Chan N. Multiple Eyelid Defects in Cutaneous Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006 May/June;22(3):216-218.
- Yuen HK, Wong AC, Wong AL, Wat CS, Chan R. Cholesteatoma palpebrae: an unusual cholesterol-filled cyst in the eyelid. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006 Mar-Apr;22(2):148-50.
- Yuen HK, Cheuk W, Leung DY, Tse RK, Chan N. Atypical Presentation of Rosai-Dorfman Disease in the Lacrimal Gland Mimicking Malignancy. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006 March/April;22(2):145-147.
- Ng CM, Yuen HK, Choi KL, Chan MK, Yuen KT, Ng YW, Tiu SC. Combined orbital irradiation and systemic steroids compared with systemic steroids alone in the management of moderate-to-severe Graves’ ophthalmopathy: a preliminary study. Hong Kong Med J. 2005 Oct;11(5):322-30.
- Lau FH, Yuen HK, Rao SK, Lam DS. Spontaneous Carotid Cavernous Fistula in a Pediatric Patient: Report of a case and review of literature. J AAPOS. 2005 Jun;9(3):292-4.
- Yuen HK, Cheuk W, Luk FO, Wat CS, Auyeung KC, Lam DS. Solitary Superficial Angiomyxoma in the Eyelid. Am J Ophthalmol. 2005 Jun;139(6):1141-1142.
- Wong CY, Fan DS, Ng JS, Goh TY, Lam DS. Long-term results of autogenous palmaris longus frontalis sling in children with congenital ptosis. Eye (Lond). 2005 May;19(5):546-8.
- Yuen HK, Mahesh L, Tse RK, Yau KC, Chan N, Lam DS. Orbital Sclerosing Extramedullary Hematopoietic Tumor. Arch Ophthalmol. 2005 May;123(5):689-91.
- Yuen KS, Lam LY, Tse MW, Chan DD, Wong BW, Chan WM. Modified endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy with posterior lacrimal sac flap for nasolacrimal duct obstruction. Hong Kong Med J. 2004 Dec;10(6):394-400.
- Chiu TY, Fan DS, Chu WC, Chan NR, Lam DS. Ocular manifestations and surgical management of lid coloboma in a Chinese infant with linear nevus sebaceous syndrome. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2004 Sep-Oct;41(5):312-4.
- Cheng AC, Young AL, Law RW, Lam DS. Ptosis after laser in situ keratomileusis. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2004 Jul;30(7):1572-4.
- Yuen HK, Chong YH, Tse KK, Chan SK, Chan NR, Lam DS. Modified lateral orbitotomy for the intact removal of dumbbell dermoid cyst. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004 Jul;20(4):327-329.
- Chan WM, Liu DT, Lai CK, Tse MW, Ng JS, Lam DS. Soft tissue sarcomas. Case 2. Orbital alveolar soft part sarcoma in a child. J Clin Oncol. 2004 May 15;22(10):2027-9.
- Li RT, Lai JS, Ng JS, Law RW, Lau EM, Lam DS. Efficacy of lignocaine 2% gel in chalazion surgery. Br J Ophthalmol. 2003 Feb;87(2):157-9.
- Yuen HK, Yeung EF, Chan NR, Chi SC, Lam DS. The use of postoperative topical mitomycin C in the treatment of recurrent conjunctival papilloma.Cornea. 2002 Nov;21(8):838-9.
- Chan W, Wong GW, Fan DS, Cheng AC, Lam DS, Ng JS. Ophthalmopathy in childhood Graves’ disease. Br J Ophthalmol. 2002 Jul;86(7):740-2.