Dr CHEN Li Jia Guy 陳理佳助理教授
Bachelor & Master of Medicine (STU), Ph.D. (CUHK)
Assistant Professor, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Honorary Resident, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
Honorary Resident, New Territories East Cluster Ophthalmology Service
Honorary Associate Professor, Shantou University Medical College
Office tel.: (852) 2632 2879
Fax no.: (852) 2715 9490
Make a clinic appointment
Tel: (852) 3943 5886
Dr Chen graduated as Bachelor of Medicine with 1st class honor in 2004 and Master of Medicine (Ophthalmology) with 1st class honor in 2007 at the Shantou University Medical College. He completed his Ph.D. program of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) in 2010, followed by 1 year post-doctoral research in CUHK, during which he won the 7th Action for Vision Young Researcher Award 2010.
Dr Chen was appointed Assistant Professor at the Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences of CUHK in November 2011. He is honorary resident of the Prince of Wales Hospital and Hong Kong Eye Hospital. He is also honorary Associate Professor of the Shantou University Medical College.
Dr Chen has mentored 4 MSc and PhD students at CUHK.
Dr Chen is Editorial Board Member of the journal Scientific Reports (impact factor 5.2), and is reviewer for more than 10 international journals, including BMC Med Genet, Eye, Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci., Medicine, Mol Vis., Ophthalmology, PLoS One, Retina, and Sci Rep.
Dr Chen has delivered more than 30 lectures as invited speaker and chaired more than 10 sections in international conferences. He has published more than 75 papers in SCI international indexed peer-reviewed journals.
1. Genomic studies and gene mapping of glaucoma, retina diseases and myopia.
2. Molecular genetics and epi-genetics of diabetic retinopathy, retinitis pigmentosa, uveitis, cornea dystrophies, keratoconus, and hereditary optical neuropathies.
3. Genetic prediction models for various eye diseases.
4. Functional characterization of eye disease genes.
5. Genetic profiling of quantitative traits in children.
6. Investigations and territory-wide screening for eye diseases in children.
- Chen LJ, Ma L, Chu WK, Lai TY, Chen H, Brelén ME, Rong SS, Young AL, Tam PO, Zhang M, Pang CP. Identification of PGF as a New Gene for Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration in a Chinese Population. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016;57(4):1714-1720.
- Khor CC, Do T, Jia H, Nakano M, George R, Abu-Amero K, Duvesh R, Chen LJ, Li Z, Nongpiur ME, Perera SA, Qiao C, Wong HT, Sakai H, Barbosa de Melo M, Lee MC, Chan AS, Azhany Y, Dao TL, Ikeda Y, Perez-Grossmann RA, Zarnowski T, Day AC, Jonas JB, Tam PO, Tran TA, Ayub H, Akhtar F, Micheal S, Chew PT, Aljasim LA, Dada T, Luu TT, Awadalla MS, Kitnarong N, Wanichwecharungruang B, Aung YY, Mohamed-Noor J, Vijayan S, Sarangapani S, Husain R, Jap A, Baskaran M, Goh D, Su DH, Wang H, Yong VK, Yip LW, Trinh TB, Makornwattana M, Nguyen TT, Leuenberger EU, Park KH, Wiyogo WA, Kumar RS, Tello C, Kurimoto Y, Thapa SS, Pathanapitoon K, Salmon JF, Sohn YH, Fea A, Ozaki M, Lai JS, Tantisevi V, Khaing CC, Mizoguchi T, Nakano S, Kim CY, Tang G, Fan S, Wu R, Meng H, Nguyen TT, Tran TD, Ueno M, Martinez JM, Ramli N, Aung YM, Reyes RD, Vernon SA, Fang SK, Xie Z, Chen XY, Foo JN, Sim KS, Wong TT, Quek DT, Venkatesh R, Kavitha S, Krishnadas SR, Soumittra N, Shantha B, Lim BA, Ogle J, de Vasconcellos JP, Costa VP, Abe RY, de Souza BB, Sng CC, Aquino MC, Kosior-Jarecka E, Fong GB, Tamanaja VC, Fujita R, Jiang Y, Waseem N, Low S, Pham HN, Al-Shahwan S, Craven ER, Khan MI, Dada R, Mohanty K, Faiq MA, Hewitt AW, Burdon KP, Gan EH, Prutthipongsit A, Patthanathamrongkasem T, Catacutan MA, Felarca IR, Liao CS, Rusmayani E, Istiantoro VW, Consolandi G, Pignata G, Lavia C, Rojanapongpun P, Mangkornkanokpong L, Chansangpetch S, Chan JC, Choy BN, Shum JW, Than HM, Oo KT, Han AT, Yong VH, Ng XY, Goh SR, Chong YF, Hibberd ML, Seielstad M, Png E, Dunstan SJ, Chau NV, Bei J, Zeng YX, Karkey A, Basnyat B, Pasutto F, Paoli D, Frezzotti P, Wang JJ, Mitchell P, Fingert JH, Allingham RR, Hauser MA, Lim ST, Chew SH, Ebstein RP, Sakuntabhai A, Park KH, Ahn J, Boland G, Snippe H, Stead R, Quino R, Zaw SN, Lukasik U, Shetty R, Zahari M, Bae HW, Oo NL, Kubota T, Manassakorn A, Ho WL, Dallorto L, Hwang YH, Kiire CA, Kuroda M, Djamal ZE, Peregrino JI, Ghosh A, Jeoung JW, Hoan TS, Srisamran N, Sandragasu T, Set SH, Doan VH, Bhattacharya SS, Ho CL, Tan DT, Sihota R, Loon SC, Mori K, Kinoshita S, Hollander AI, Qamar R, Wang YX, Teo YY, Tai ES, Hartleben-Matkin C, Lozano-Giral D, Saw SM, Cheng CY, Zenteno JC, Pang CP, Bui HT, Hee O, Craig JE, Edward DP, Yonahara M, Neto JM, Guevara-Fujita ML, Xu L, Ritch R, Liza-Sharmini AT, Wong TY, Al-Obeidan S, Do NH, Sundaresan P, Tham CC, Foster PJ, Vijaya L, Tashiro K, Vithana EN, Wang N, Aung T.Genome-wide association study identifies five new susceptibility loci for primary angle closure glaucoma. Nat Genet. 2016;48(5):556-62.
- Rong SS, Tang FY, Chu WK, Ma L, Yam JC, Tang SM, Li J, Gu H, Young AL, Tham CC, Pang CP, Chen LJ. Genetic Associations of Primary Angle-Closure Disease: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Ophthalmology. 2016;123(6):1211-21.
- Ma L, Li Z, Liu K, Rong SS, Young AL. Kumaramanickavel G, Pang CP, Chen H, Chen LJ. Association of genetic variants with polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy: a systemic review and updated meta-analysis. Ophthalmology. 2015;122(9):1854-65.
- Liu K, Lai TYY, Ma L, Lai FHP, Young AL, Brelen ME, Tam POS, Pang CP, Chen LJ. Ethnic differences in the association of SERPING1 with age-related macular degeneration and polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Sci Rep. 2015; 5, 9424.
- Cheng CY, Yamashiro K, Chen LJ, Ahn J, Huang L, Huang L, Cheung CM, Miyake M, Cackett PD, Yeo IY, Laude A, Mathur R, Pang J, Sim KS, Koh AH, Chen P, Lee SY, Wong D, Chan CM, Loh BK, Sun Y, Davila S, Nakata I, Nakanishi H, Akagi-Kurashige Y, Gotoh N, Tsujikawa A, Matsuda F, Mori K, Yoneya S, Sakurada Y, Iijima H, Iida T, Honda S, Lai TY, Tam PO, Chen H, Tang S, Ding X, Wen F, Lu F, Zhang X, Shi Y, Zhao P, Zhao B, Sang J, Gong B, Dorajoo R, Yuan JM, Koh WP, van Dam RM, Friedlander Y, Lin Y,
Hibberd ML, Foo JN, Wang N, Wong CH, Tan GS, Park SJ, Bhargava M, Gopal L, Naing T, Liao J, Ong PG, Mitchell P, Zhou P, Xie X, Liang J, Mei J, Jin X, Saw SM, Ozaki M, Mizoguchi T, Kurimoto Y, Woo SJ, Chung H, Yu HG, Shin JY, Park DH, Kim IT, Chang W, Sagong M, Lee SJ, Kim HW, Lee JE, Li Y, Liu J, Teo YY, Heng CK, Lim TH, Yang SK, Song K, Vithana EN, Aung T, Bei JX, Zeng YX, Tai ES, Li XX, Yang Z, Park KH, Pang CP, Yoshimura N, Wong TY, Khor CC. New loci and coding variants confer risk for age-related macular degeneration in East Asians. Nat Commun. 2015;6:6063.
- Liu K, Lai TY, Chiang SW, Chan VC, Young AL, Tam PO, Pang CP, Chen LJ. Gender specific association of a complement component 3 polymorphism with polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Sci Rep. 2014;4:7018.
- Chen Y, Lin Y, Vithana EN, Jia L, Zuo X, Wong TY, Chen LJ, Zhu X, Tam PO, Gong B, Qian S, Li Z, Liu X, Mani B, Luo Q, Guzman C, Leung CK, Li X, Cao W, Yang Q, Tham CC, Cheng Y, Zhang X, Wang N, Aung T, Khor CC, Pang CP, Sun X, Yang Z. Common variants near ABCA1 and in PMM2 are associated with primary open-angle glaucoma. Nat Genet. 2014;46:1115-9.
- Liu K, Chen LJ, Lai TY, Tam PO, Ho M, Chiang SW, Liu DT, Young AL, Yang Z, Pang CP. Genes in the High-Density Lipoprotein Metabolic Pathway in Age-Related Macular Degeneration and Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy. Ophthalmology. 2014;121(4):911-6.
- Khor CC, Miyake M, Chen LJ, Shi Y, Barathi VA, Qiao F, Nakata I, Yamashiro K, Zhou X, Tam PO, Cheng CY, Tai ES, Vithana EN, Aung T, Teo YY, Wong TY, Moriyama M, Ohno-Matsui K, Mochizuki M, Matsuda F; Nagahama Study Group, Yong RY, Yap EP, Yang Z, Pang CP, Saw SM, Yoshimura N. Genome-wide association study identifies ZFHX1B as a susceptibility locus for severe myopia. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22(25):5288-94.