Dr Simon KH SZETO
MBChB (CUHK), MSc (CUHK), MRCS (Edin) Ophthalmology, FCOphth HK, FHKAM (Ophth)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK)
- Honorary Associate Consultant, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
Dr Szeto graduated from the Medicine Programme (MBChB) of the Faculty of Medicine of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CU Medicine) in 2012 with multiple academic awards and scholarships. He subsequently obtained a Diploma in Advances in Medicine from CU Medicine in 2017 and a Master′s degree in Epidemiology and Biostatistics (MSc) from CUHK School of Public Health in 2021.
Dr Szeto is a specialist in ophthalmology. He has special interest in vitreoretinal and macular diseases and obtained the CUHK-HKEH Retina Subspecialty Fellow in 2021. Apart from clinical duties, he also engages in clinical training to residents and fellows.
Whilst serving the Hospital Authority, Dr Szeto is very enthusiastic about research. He has been working closely with colleagues in the Hong Kong Eye Hospital and DOVS on the diagnostics, risk assessment and prediction, and therapeutics of diabetic retinopathy, diabetic macular edema, and other retinal diseases. He has published 17 papers in international peer-reviewed journals, including Diabetes Care, Ophthalmology and British Journal of Ophthalmology, and two book chapters.
- Retinal imaging in diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular edema
- Novel vitreo-retinal surgical techniques
- Myopic maculopathy of pathological myopia
- Retinal imaging in rare medical retinal diseases
- Application of artificial intelligence in the diagnosis and monitoring of retinal diseases
|Organising Committee||Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO) Congress 2023|
|Organising Committee||Annual Scientific Meeting of Hong Kong College of Ophthalmologists 2022|
|Invited speaker||Asia-Pacific Vitreo-retina Society (APVRS) Annual Meeting 2022 (Taiwan)|
|Participant||Asia-Pacific Vitreo-retina Society (APVRS) Leadership Programme 2021-2022|
- The use of optical coherence tomography (OCT) biomarkers in predicting treatment outcome of diabetic macular edema (DME)
- Displacement of massive submacular haemorrhage with subretinal cocktail injection of tissue plasminogen activator, anti-vascular endothelial growth factors and air, an interventional case series
- The use of OCT biomarkers in predicting treatment outcome of macular edema secondary to retinal vein occlusion
- Vision threatening diabetic retinopathy study (VTDRS)
- Application of artificial intelligence (AI) in retinal imaging
Results of Note
As first author
- The use of OCT biomarkers in predicting treatment outcome of diabetic macular edema has been published in British Journal of Ophthalmology
- The use of non-mydriatic ultrawide field fundus photography in the assessment of diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular edema has been published in British Journal of Ophthalmology
- The use of artificial intelligence in OCT classification system for classification of DME has been published in Diabetes Care
- The use of OCT angiography in predicting progression of diabetic retinopathy has been published in Ophthalmology
- Szeto SKH, Hui VWK, Vivianna Siu, Mohamed S, Chan CKM, Hsieh YT, Tan CS, Chhablani J, Lai TYY, Ng DSC. Recent Advances in Clinical Applications of Imaging in Retinal Diseases. Asia Pac J Ophthalmol (Phila). 2022 Dec
- Szeto SKH, Mohamed S, Tsang CW, Lai TYY, Hui VWK, Chan CKM. Multimodal imaging features of choroidal metastasis of non-small-cell lung cancer: a case report. Hong Kong J Ophthalmol. 2022Nov.19];26(2)
- Lai TYY, Tang Z, Lai ACW, Szeto SKH, Lai RYK, Cheung CY. Association of Fundus Autofluorescence Abnormalities and Pachydrusen in Central Serous Chorioretinopathy and Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy. J Clin Med. 2022 Sep 11;11(18):5340. doi: 10.3390/jcm11185340. PMID: 36142987; PMCID: PMC9500611.
- Yang DW, Tang ZQ, Tang FY, Szeto SK, Chan J, Yip F, Wong CY, Ran AR, Lai TY, Cheung CY. Clinically relevant factors associated with a binary outcome of diabetic macular ischaemia: an OCTA study. Br J Ophthalmol. 2022 Apr 21:bjophthalmol-2021-320779. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2021-320779. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35450939.
- Hui VWK, Szeto SKH, Tang F, Yang D, Chen H, Lai TYY, Rong A, Zhang S, Zhao P, Ruamviboonsuk P, Lai CC, Chang A, Das T, Ohji M, Huang SS, Sivaprasad S, Wong TY, Lam DSC, Cheung CY. Optical Coherence Tomography Classification Systems for Diabetic Macular Edema and Their Associations With Visual Outcome and Treatment Responses – An Updated Review. Asia Pac J Ophthalmol (Phila). 2021 Dec 17. doi: 10.1097/APO.0000000000000468. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34923521.
- Szeto SK, Hui VWK, Tang FY, Yang D, Sun ZH, Mohamed S, Chan CKM, Lai TYY, Cheung C. OCT-based biomarkers for predicting treatment response in eyes with centre-involved diabetic macular oedema treated with anti-VEGF injections: a real-life retina clinic-based study. Br J Ophthalmol. 2021 Nov 8:bjophthalmol-2021-319587. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2021-319587. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34750100.
- Szeto SK, Mohamed S, Tsang CW, Chan CK. Massive retinal infiltrates as the presenting sign of chronic myeloid leukemia: Clinical and imaging features of leukemic retinopathy. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2021 Oct 1:11206721211048792. doi: 10.1177/11206721211048792. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34595942.
- Lam SC, Szeto SKH, Yuen HKL. Giant Fornix Syndrome: How Much Conjunctiva Should Be Resected? Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2022 Jan-Feb 01;38(1):45-49. doi: 10.1097/IOP.0000000000001978. PMID: 34431821.
- Yang D, Sun Z, Shi J, Ran A, Tang F, Tang Z, Lok J, Szeto S, Chan J, Yip F, Zhang L, Meng Q, Rasmussen M, Grauslund J, Cheung CY. A Multitask Deep-learning System for Assessment of Diabetic Macular Ischemia on Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography Images. Retina. 2022 Jan 1;42(1):184-194. doi: 10.1097/IAE.0000000000003287. PMID: 34432726.
- Tang F, Wang X, Ran AR, Chan CKM, Ho M, Yip W, Young AL, Lok J, Szeto S, Chan J, Yip F, Wong R, Tang Z, Yang D, Ng DS, Chen LJ, Brelén M, Chu V, Li K, Lai THT, Tan GS, Ting DSW, Huang H, Chen H, Ma JH, Tang S, Leng T, Kakavand S, Mannil SS, Chang RT, Liew G, Gopinath B, Lai TYY, Pang CP, Scanlon PH, Wong TY, Tham CC, Chen H, Heng PA, Cheung CY. A Multitask Deep-Learning System to Classify Diabetic Macular Edema for Different Optical Coherence Tomography Devices: A Multicenter Analysis. Diabetes Care. 2021 Sep;44(9):2078-2088. doi: 10.2337/dc20-3064. Epub 2021 Jul 27. PMID: 34315698; PMCID: PMC8740924.
- Tang F, Luenam P, Ran AR, Quadeer AA, Raman R, Sen P, Khan R, Giridhar A, Haridas S, Iglicki M, Zur D, Loewenstein A, Negri HP, Szeto S, Lam BKY, Tham CC, Sivaprasad S, Mckay M, Cheung CY. Detection of Diabetic Retinopathy from Ultra-Widefield Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscope Images: A Multicenter Deep Learning Analysis. Ophthalmol Retina. 2021 Nov;5(11):1097-1106. doi: 10.1016/j.oret.2021.01.013. Epub 2021 Feb 1. PMID: 33540169.
- Tang Z, Chan MY, Leung WY, Wong HY, Ng CM, Chan VTT, Wong R, Lok J, Szeto S, Chan JCK, Tham CC, Wong TY, Cheung CY. Assessment of retinal neurodegeneration with spectral-domain optical coherence tomography: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eye (Lond). 2021 May;35(5):1317-1325. doi: 10.1038/s41433-020-1020-z. Epub 2020 Jun 24. PMID: 32581390; PMCID: PMC8182828.
- Tang FY, Chan EO, Sun Z, Wong R, Lok J, Szeto S, Chan JC, Lam A, Tham CC, Ng DS, Cheung CY. Clinically relevant factors associated with quantitative optical coherence tomography angiography metrics in deep capillary plexus in patients with diabetes. Eye Vis (Lond). 2020 Feb 3;7:7. doi: 10.1186/s40662-019-0173-y. PMID: 32025523; PMCID: PMC6996172.
- Sun Z, Tang F, Wong R, Lok J, Szeto SKH, Chan JCK, Chan CKM, Tham CC, Ng DS, Cheung CY. OCT Angiography Metrics Predict Progression of Diabetic Retinopathy and Development of Diabetic Macular Edema: A Prospective Study. Ophthalmology. 2019 Dec;126(12):1675-1684. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2019.06.016. Epub 2019 Jun 26. Erratum in: Ophthalmology. 2020 Dec;127(12):1777. PMID: 31358386.
- Tang F, Sun Z, Wong R, Lok J, Lam A, Tham CC, Chan CK, Mohamed S, Lam TC, Szeto SK, Ng DS, Cheung CY. Relationship of intercapillary area with visual acuity in diabetes mellitus: an optical coherence tomography angiography study. Br J Ophthalmol. 2018 Jun 4:bjophthalmol-2017-312010. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2018-312010. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 29866787.
- Szeto SKH, Wong R, Lok J, Tang F, Sun Z, Tso T, Lam TCH, Tham CC, Ng DS, Cheung CY. Non-mydriatic ultrawide field scanning laser ophthalmoscopy compared with dilated fundal examination for assessment of diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular oedema in Chinese individuals with diabetes mellitus. Br J Ophthalmol. 2019 Sep;103(9):1327-1331. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2018-311924. Epub 2018 Oct 31. PMID: 30381391.
- Szeto SK, Chan TC, Wong RL, Ng AL, Li EY, Jhanji V. Prevalence of Ocular Manifestations and Visual Outcomes in Patients With Herpes Zoster Ophthalmicus. Cornea. 2017 Mar;36(3):338-342. doi: 10.1097/ICO.0000000000001046. PMID: 27741018.