Dr Kelvin KL CHONG
MB.ChB (Hon, CUHK), MRCS(Edin), FCOphthHK, FHKAM (Ophth)
- Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK)
- Clinical Director, Eye Centre, CUHK Medical Centre (CUHKMC)
- Deputy Director, CUHK Eye Centre (CUHKEC)
- Head, Orbital and Oculoplastic Surgery Service, New Territories East Cluster (NTEC) Ophthalmology Service
- Honorary Consultant, CUHKMC, Hong Kong Eye Hospital, Prince of Wales Hospital, Alice Ho Nethersole Hosptial, Queen Mary Hospital, and Grantham Hospital
- 1st Vice President, Asia Pacific Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Secretary, Asia Pacific Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Council Member / Education Officer, International Thyroid Eye Disease Society
- Member, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Advisory Committee, International society of Dacryology and Dry Eye
Dr Kelvin KL CHONG′s clinical and research interest focus on oculofacial plastic conditions including thyroid eye disease, orbital tumors, trauma, tearing disorders and minimally invasive eyelid, lacrimal and orbital surgeries.
He graduated at the top of his class in the CUHK Faculty of Medicine (MBChB ) program. He was awarded the Li Po Chun Charitable Trust Fund Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship to the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) and LA Biomedical Institute where he returned later for a 2-year surgical and translational research fellowship. His awards included the City Lion Club Gold Medal, Action for Vision Eye Foundation Young Researcher of the Year, Achievement Awards from American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) and Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO), best surgical video awards in AAO (2012, 2014) and World Ophthalmology Congress (2018). He has over 40 SCI indexed peer-reviewed articles and 5 book chapters.
Dr Chong currently serves as the Head of the Orbital and Oculoplastic Division at the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science (DOVS) and Prince of Wales Hospital (PWH) and the Associate Director of the CUHK Eye Center.
He is the current President of Hong Kong Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (HKSOPRS), First Vice-President of the Asia-Pacific Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (APSOPRS) and education officer of the International Thyroid Eye Disease Society (ITEDS). He is recently inducted into the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS).
- Mohs micrographic surgery for periocular tumor (CUHK Direct grant 2007)
- Clinical and translational research on thyroid associated orbitopathy (TAO)/ thyroid eye disease (TED) (CUHK Direct grant 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Image-guided orbital surgeries (Nethersole Charity Foundation 2012-5)
- Endoscopic lacrimal and orbital surgeries (Nethersole Charity Foundation 2015-8)
- 3-dimensional printing in orbital fracture repair (Innovation and Technology Fund 2016-8)
- Adult stem cells research in Ophthalmology
- Laser refractive and laser-assisted cataract surgery
|Subspecialty Liaison (Orbital and Oculoplastic Surgery Program)||World Ophthalmology Congress 2018 Barcelona (Spain)|
|Subspecialty Liaison ( Orbital and Oculoplastic Surgery Program)||The 33rd Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology Congress 2018 (Hong Kong)|
|Subspecialty Liaison ( Orbital and Oculoplastic Surgery Program )||The 32nd Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology Congress 2017 (Singapore)|
|Subspecialty Liaison ( Orbital and Oculoplastic Surgery Program )||World Ophthalmology Congress 2016 (Mexico)|
|Subspecialty Liaison ( Orbital and Oculoplastic Surgery Program )||The 31st Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology Congress 2016 (Taiwan)|
|Keynote lecturer||Korean Ophthalmological Symposium & Korean Society of Ophthalmic 2015 (South Korea)|
|Keynote lecturer||Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Symposium 2015|
- Surgical and investigative dacryology: endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy, endocanalicular surgery, tear-film changes
- Clinical and translational research on pathogenesis, biomarkers, new and combinational surgical, radiological and medical treatments in thyroid associated orbitopathy (TAO)
- Development of Mohs micrographic surgery in Hong Kong
- Orbital adipose tissue derived stromal/stem cells in health and diseases
- Next-generation (endoscopic, image-guided and computer-assisted) orbital surgeries.
- Clinical-pathological-radiological correlation of orbital conditions
Results of Note
- Published the world′s first and largest-to-date randomized controlled trial on endoscopic dacryocytorhinostomy for nasolacrimal duct obstruction with long-term follow-up performed by ophthalmologists (2013)
- Established the first series of endoscopic orbital decompression and staged surgical rehabilitation for thyroid associated orbitopathy in HK (2010)
- Established the first series of EUGOGO-protocol pulse steroid and image-guided orbital radiotherapy for thyroid associated orbitopathy, myopathy and neuropathy in HK (2011)
- Established the first and the only-to-date Mohs Micrographic Surgery service in HK with sentinel lymph node biopsy for periocular malignancy (2007, 2013)
- Established the first use of endoscopic navigation for orbital surgeries in HK (2015)
- Established the first series of minimally invasive orbital tumor removal in HK
- Established the first series of orbital reconstruction with absorbable implants in HK (2014)
- Established the first and the largest-to-date thyroid eye clinic in HK (2010)
- Only participating centre for the international thyroid eye disease society (ITEDS) on photographic inflammatory studies and CRISEPTED in HK (2016)
- Established the first multidisciplinary team (neurosurgery, head & neck, plastic surgery, radiology, oncology, pathology) for orbitocraniofacial conditions in HK (2012)
- Supported by Innovation and Technology Fund for the first use of 3D-printing in orbital fracture repair (2017)
- Iao TW, Rong SS, Ling AN, Brelen M, Young AL, Chong KK#. Systematic Review: Electrophysiological studies in assessing optic nerve dysfunction associated with thyroid associated orbitopathy. Scientific Report. Sep 21;7(1):12108.
- Lai T, Lai FH, Chan T, Young AL, Chong KK#. Lacrimal gland abscess in children: Two case reports and literature review. Orbit. 2017 Aug 18:1-5.
- Zhang SD, He JN, Niu TT, Chan CY, Ren CY, Liu SS, Qu Y, Chong KL, Wang HL, Tao J, Pang CP. Bacteriological profile of ocular surface flora in meibomian gland dysfunction. Ocul Surf. 2017 Apr;15(2):242-247.
- Chong KK#, Lai TH, Chan RY, Li CL, Young AL. Thyroid eye disease: a 2017 update. Hong Kong Journal of Ophthalmology. 2017 Jan;21(1) Review.
- Xu WW, Huang L, Chong KK, Leung DS, Li BF, Yin ZQ, Huang YF, Pang CP. Differentiation potential of human adipose tissue derived stem cells into photoreceptors through explants culture and enzyme methods. Int J Ophthalmol. 2017 Jan 18;10(1):23-29.
- Wan KH, *Chong KK#, Young AL. The Role of Computer-Assisted Technology in Post-Traumatic Orbital Reconstruction: A PRISMA-driven Systematic Review. Sci Rep. 2015 Dec 8;5:17914
- Wong KH, Rong SS, Chong KK, Young AL, Pang CP, Chen LJ. Genetic Associations of Interleukinrelated Genes with Graves’ Ophthalmopathy: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Sci Rep. 2015 Nov 18;5:16672
- Iao, WU, Chong KK#. Comparative study of ganglion cell-inner plexiform layer (GCIP) and circumpapillary retinal nerve fiber layer (cpRNFL) measurements by spectral-domain optical coherence tomography for the detection of dysthyroid optic neuropathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015;56(7):571
- Lok JY, Yip NK, Chong KK, Li CL, Young AL. Idiopathic hypertrophic pachy-meningitis mimicking prolactinoma with recurrent vision loss. Hong Kong Med J. 2015;21(4):360-2.
- Wong RC, Yu M, Chan TC, Chong KK, Jhanji V. Longitudinal comparison of outcomes after sub-bowman keratomileusis and laser in situ keratomileusis: randomized, double-masked study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2015 May;159(5):835-45.e3.
( * co-first author ; # corresponding author )