Dr CHEN Li Jia Guy
Bachelor & Master of Medicine (STU), Ph.D. (CUHK)
- Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Head, Graduate Division, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Honorary Resident, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
- Honorary Resident, New Territories East Cluster Ophthalmology Service
- Honorary Associate Professor, Shantou University Medical College
Dr Chen graduated as Bachelor of Medicine with 1st class honor in 2004 and Master of Medicine (Ophthalmology) with 1st class honor in 2007 at the Shantou University Medical College. He completed his Ph.D. program of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) in 2010, followed by 1 year post-doctoral research in CUHK, during which he won the 7th Action for Vision Young Researcher Award 2010. In November 2011, Dr Chen was appointed Assistant Professor at the Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences of CUHK . He is honorary resident of the Prince of Wales Hospital and Hong Kong Eye Hospital. He is also honorary Associate Professor of the Shantou University Medical College.
Dr Chen is Editorial Board Member of the journal Scientific Reports (impact factor 5.2), and is reviewer for more than 10 international journals, including BMC Med Genet, Eye, Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci., Medicine, Mol Vis., Ophthalmology, PLoS One, Retina, and Sci Rep. Besides, Dr Chen has delivered more than 30 lectures as invited speaker and chaired more than 10 sections in international conferences. He has published more than 75 papers in SCI international indexed peer-reviewed journals.
Dr Chen is now the Head of Graduate Division at the Department and appointed as Associate Professor in November 2017.
- Genomic studies and gene mapping of glaucoma, retina diseases and myopia
- Molecular genetics and epi-genetics of diabetic retinopathy, retinitis pigmentosa, uveitis, cornea dystrophies, keratoconus, and hereditary optical neuropathies
- Genetic prediction models for various eye diseases
- Functional characterization of eye disease genes
- Genetic profiling of quantitative traits in children
- Investigations and territory-wide screening for eye diseases in children
|Chair, Scientific Program Committees||World Ophthalmology Congress 2018 Barcelona, Spain|
|Founding Fellow & Council Member||The Academy of Asia-Pacific Professors of Ophthalmology|
|Vice President||Asia-Pacific Glaucoma Society|
|Board of Directors||International Council of Ophthalmology|
- Molecular genomics and mechanisms of age-related macular degeneration (AMD), polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy (PCV)
- Molecular genomics and mechanisms of primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG) and primary angle-closure glaucoma (PACG)
- Investigations and screening for eye diseases in children (Hong Kong Children Eye Study) & investigation of genetic factors of longitudinal development of ocular parameters in children.
- Molecular genetics of complex eye diseases: high myopia, diabetic macular edema, and uveitis.
Results of Note
- Dr Chen and the genetic team have worked on the identification of new genes and variants for major eye diseases. In the past year, the team had discovered the PGF, ANGPT2 and ABCG1 genes as new disease genes for age-related macular degeneration and polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy; identified novel associated variants in the ABCC5 gene for primary-angle closure glaucoma, and in the SIX6 gene for primary open-angle glaucoma
- Dr Chen is the Principal Investigator (PI) of 5 external competitive research grants, including 1 General Research Fund (GRF) from the Research Grants Council, Hong Kong; 1 Youth Fund of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC); 2 Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF) from Food and Health Bureau, Hong Kong; and 1 Research Award from the Global Ophthalmology Awards Program (GOAP) from Bayer, Germany. The total amount of the research funds is over HK$ 4 million
- Dr Chen has published 85 papers in SCI international indexed peer-reviewed journals, mainly including 1 in Lancet Oncology (Impact Factor (IF): 33.9), 6 in Nature Genetics (IF: 27.959), 3 in Nature Communications (IF: 12.124), 6 in Ophthalmology (8.2), 4 in Human Molecular Genetics (5.34), 13 in Scientific Reports (IF: 4.259), and 13 in Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci (IF: 3.303)
- The H-Index of Dr Chen is 19 as of August 2017
- Tang FY, Ma L, Tam POS, Pang CP, Tham CCY, Chen LJ#. Genetic Association of the PARL-ABCC5-HTR3D-HTR3C Locus with Primary Angle-Closure Glaucoma in Chinese. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017 Aug 1;58(10):4104-4109.
- Rong SS, Ma STU, Yu XT, Ma L, Chu WK, Chan TCY, Wang YM, Young AL, Pang CP, Jhanji V, Chen LJ#. Genetic associations for keratoconus: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sci Rep. 2017 Jul 4;7(1):4620.
- Ma L, Brelen ME, Tsujikawa M, Chen H, Chu WK, Lai TY, Ng DS, Sayanagi K, Hara C, Hashida N, Chan VC, Tam PO, Young AL, Chen W, Nishida K, Pang CP, Chen LJ#. Identification of ANGPT2 as a New Gene for Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration and Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy in the Chinese and Japanese Populations. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017 Feb 1; 58(2):1076-1083.
- Ma L, Liu K, Tsujikawa M, Chen H, Brelen ME, Chan VC, Lai TY, Sayanagi K, Hara C, Hashida N, Tam PO, Young AL, Chen W, Nishida K, Pang CP, Chen LJ#. Association of ABCG1 with Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration and Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy in Chinese and Japanese. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016 Oct 1;57(13):5758-5763.
- Rong SS*, Chen LJ*#, Leung CK*, Matsushita K*, Jia L, Miki A, Chiang SW, Tam PO, Hashida N, Young AL, Tsujikawa M, Zhang M, Wang N, Nishida K, Pang CP. Ethnic specific association of the CAV1/CAV2 locus with primary open-angle glaucoma. Sci Rep. 2016 Jun 14; 6:27837.
- Huang L, Zhang H, Cheng CY, Wen F, Tam PO, Zhao P, Chen H, Li Z, Chen LJ, Tai Z, Yamashiro K, Deng S, Zhu X, Chen W, Cai L, Lu F, Li Y, Cheung CG, Shi Y, Miyake M, Lin Y, Gong B, Liu X, Sim KS, Yang J, Mori K, Zhang X, Cackett PD, Tsujikawa M, Nishida K, Hao F, Ma S, Lin H, Cheng J, Fei P, Lai TY, Tang S, Laude A, Inoue S, Yeo IY, Sakurada Y, Zhou Y, Iijima H, Honda S, Lei C, Zhang L, Zheng H, Jiang D, Zhu X, Wong TY, Khor CC, Pang CP, Yoshimura N, Yang Z. A missense variant in FGD6 confers increased risk of polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Nat Genet. 2016 Jun;48(6):640-7.
- Chen LJ, Ma L, Chu WK, Lai TY, Chen H, Brelén ME, Rong SS, Young AL, Tam PO, Zhang M, Pang CP. Identification of PGF as a New Gene for Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration in a Chinese Population. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016 Apr 1;57(4):1714-1720.
- Khor CC*, *Do T, Jia H*, Nakano M*, George R*, Abu-Amero K*, Duvesh R*, Chen LJ*, Li Z, Nongpiur ME, Perera SA, Qiao C, Wong HT, Sakai H, Barbosa de Melo M, Lee MC, Chan AS, Azhany Y, Dao TL, Ikeda Y, Perez-Grossmann RA, Zarnowski T, Day AC, Jonas JB, Tam PO, Tran TA, Ayub H, Akhtar F, Micheal S, Chew PT, Aljasim LA, Dada T, Luu TT, Awadalla MS, Kitnarong N, Wanichwecharungruang B, Aung YY, Mohamed-Noor J, Vijayan S, Sarangapani S, Husain R, Jap A, Baskaran M, Goh D, Su DH, Wang H, Yong VK, Yip LW, Trinh TB, Makornwattana M, Nguyen TT, Leuenberger EU, Park KH, Wiyogo WA, Kumar RS, Tello C, Kurimoto Y, Thapa SS, Pathanapitoon K, Salmon JF, Sohn YH, Fea A, Ozaki M, Lai JS, Tantisevi V, Khaing CC, Mizoguchi T, Nakano S, Kim CY, Tang G, Fan S, Wu R, Meng H, Nguyen TT, Tran TD, Ueno M, Martinez JM, Ramli N, Aung YM, Reyes RD, Vernon SA, Fang SK, Xie Z, Chen XY, Foo JN, Sim KS, Wong TT, Quek DT, Venkatesh R, Kavitha S, Krishnadas SR, Soumittra N, Shantha B, Lim BA, Ogle J, de Vasconcellos JP, Costa VP, Abe RY, de Souza BB, Sng CC, Aquino MC, Kosior-Jarecka E, Fong GB, Tamanaja VC, Fujita R, Jiang Y, Waseem N, Low S, Pham HN, Al-Shahwan S, Craven ER, Khan MI, Dada R, Mohanty K, Faiq MA, Hewitt AW, Burdon KP, Gan EH, Prutthipongsit A, Patthanathamrongkasem T, Catacutan MA, Felarca IR, Liao CS, Rusmayani E, Istiantoro VW, Consolandi G, Pignata G, Lavia C, Rojanapongpun P, Mangkornkanokpong L, Chansangpetch S, Chan JC, Choy BN, Shum JW, Than HM, Oo KT, Han AT, Yong VH, Ng XY, Goh SR, Chong YF, Hibberd ML, Seielstad M, Png E, Dunstan SJ, Chau NV, Bei J, Zeng YX, Karkey A, Basnyat B, Pasutto F, Paoli D, Frezzotti P, Wang JJ, Mitchell P, Fingert JH, Allingham RR, Hauser MA, Lim ST, Chew SH, Ebstein RP, Sakuntabhai A, Park KH, Ahn J, Boland G, Snippe H, Stead R, Quino R, Zaw SN, Lukasik U, Shetty R, Zahari M, Bae HW, Oo NL, Kubota T, Manassakorn A, Ho WL, Dallorto L, Hwang YH, Kiire CA, Kuroda M, Djamal ZE, Peregrino JI, Ghosh A, Jeoung JW, Hoan TS, Srisamran N, Sandragasu T, Set SH, Doan VH, Bhattacharya SS, Ho CL, Tan DT, Sihota R, Loon SC, Mori K, Kinoshita S, Hollander AI, Qamar R, Wang YX, Teo YY, Tai ES, Hartleben-Matkin C, Lozano-Giral D, Saw SM, Cheng CY, Zenteno JC, Pang CP, Bui HT, Hee O, Craig JE, Edward DP, Yonahara M, Neto JM, Guevara-Fujita ML, Xu L, Ritch R, Liza-Sharmini AT, Wong TY, Al-Obeidan S, Do NH, Sundaresan P, Tham CC, Foster PJ, Vijaya L, Tashiro K, Vithana EN, Wang N, Aung T. Genome-wide association study identifies five new susceptibility loci for primary angle closure glaucoma. Nat Genet. 2016 May;48(5):556-62.
- Rong SS, Tang FY, Chu WK, Ma L, Yam JC, Tang SM, Li J, Gu H, Young AL, Tham CC, Pang CP, Chen LJ#. Genetic Associations of Primary Angle-Closure Disease: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Ophthalmology 2016 Jun;123(6):1211-21.
- Ma L, Li Z, Liu K, Rong SS, Young AL. Kumaramanickavel G, Pang CP, Chen H, Chen LJ#. Association of genetic variants with polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy: a systemic review and updated meta-analysis. Ophthalmology 2015 Sep;122(9):1854-65.
( * co-first author ; # corresponding author )