Prof PANG Chi Pui Calvin 彭智培講座教授
BSc (Lond), DPhil (Oxon), FARVO
S.H. Ho Professor of Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Professor (by courtesy), School of Biomedical Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Director, CUHK Ophthalmic Research Centre
Honorary Advisor, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
Honorary Advisor, New Territories East Cluster Ophthalmology Service
Director, Joint Shantou International Eye Center
Office tel.: (852) 3943 5801
Fax no.: (852) 2715 9490
Prof Pang received a BSc (Hon) in Biochemistry in 1978, University of London, and DPhil in 1982, University of Oxford, on an EP Abraham Research Fund Scholarship, followed by postdoctoral research in Oxford. In December 1983, Prof Pang was appointed Lecturer in Chemical Pathology at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) and became a Professor in 1995. In 1998, Prof Pang moved to the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences (DOVS) of CUHK. He was Chairman of DOVS during 2012-2015.
Prof Pang has served as academic assessor and reviewer for the Wellcome Trust (UK), National Eye Institute (USA), ARVO (USA), National Medical Research Council (Singapore), Health Research Board (Ireland), Catalan Agency for Health Technology Assessment and Research(Spain), National Science Foundation China, Changjiang Scholar Program China, and other funding organisations. He is also an academic reviewer, external examiner and honorary or visiting Professor of more than 30 clinical, research and tertiary academic institutions in Hong Kong, mainland China and overseas, including University of Melbourne, Purdue University, National University of Singapore, Peking University, University of Hong Kong and Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He has been co-chair of Asia-ARVO and APAO congresses, and convener of visual sciences programs of APAO and WOC. Prof Pang has delivered more than 200 invited lectures internationally.
Prof Pang received the China State Scientific and Technological Progress Award (SSTPA) second-class award in 2016, Special Achievement Award of Chinese Ophthalmological Society in 2017, and Senior Achievement Award, APAO in 2018. He is also ARVO Silver Fellow. He has contributed more than 410 publications in SCI international peer review journals and 16 book chapters.
- Genomics and gene mapping of glaucoma, retina diseases, cataracts and myopia.
- Molecular genetics and mechanisms of primary open angle glaucoma, primary angle closure glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration, polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy, myopia, uveitis, retinoblastoma, Graves’ ophthalmopathy, diabetic retinopathy, retinitis pigmentosa, keratoconus and cornea dystrophies.
- Biology of ocular stem cells and retinal ganglion cells.
- Biological effects of herbal molecules and GHRHR (growth hormone related hormone receptor) agonists on ophthalmic inflammation and retina degeneration.
- Cen LP, Ng TK, Liang JJ, Zhuang X, Yao X, Yam GH, Chen H, Cheung HS, Zhang M, Pang CP. Human Periodontal Ligament-Derived Stem Cells Promote Retinal Ganglion Cell Survival and Axon Regeneration After Optic Nerve Injury. Stem Cells. 2018 Jun;36:844-855.
- Wang YM, Ng TK, Choy KW, Wong HK, Chu WK, Pang CP, Jhanji V. Histological and microRNA Signatures of Corneal Epithelium in Keratoconus. J Refract Surg. 2018 Mar; 34:201-211.
- Fan Q, Maranville JC, Fritsche L,……, Pang CP, Tai ES, Khor CC, Wong TY, Runz H, Cheng CY. HDL-cholesterol levels and risk of age-related macular degeneration: a multiethnic genetic study using Mendelian randomization. Int J Epidemiol. 2017 Dec;46:1891-1902.
- Chu WK, Law KS, Chan SO, Yam JC, Chen LJ, Zhang H, Cheung HS, Block NL, Schally AV, Pang CP. Antagonists of growth hormone-releasing hormone receptor induce apoptosis specifically in retinoblastoma cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016 Dec 13;113:14396-14401.
- Huang L, Zhang H, Cheng CY, ……,Pang CP, Yoshimura N, Yang Z. A missense variant in FGD6 confers increased risk of polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Nat Genet. 2016 Jun;48:640-7.
- Chen LJ, Ma L, Chu WK, ……, Pang CP. Identification of PGF as a New Gene for Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration in a Chinese Population. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016 Apr;57:1714-20
- Qin YJ, Chan SO, Chong KK, Li BF, Ng TK, Yip YW, Chen H, Zhang M, Block NL, Cheung HS, Schally AV, Pang CP. Antagonist of GH-releasing hormone receptors alleviates experimental ocular inflammation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Dec 23;111:18303-8.
- Chen Y, Lin Y, Vithana EN, ……, Pang CP, Sun X, Yang Z. Common variants near ABCA1 and in PMM2 are associated with primary open-angle glaucoma. Nat Genet. 2014 Oct;46 :1115-9
- Verhoeven VJ, Hysi PG, Wojciechowski R, …., Pang CP, Chen LJ, … Saw SM, Bailey-Wilson JE, Stambolian D, Klaver CC, Hammond CJ. Genome-wide meta-analyses of multiancestry cohorts identify multiple new susceptibility loci for refractive error and myopia. Nat Genet. 2013 Mar;45:314-8
- Liu K, Chen LJ, Tam PO, Shi Y, Lai TY, Liu DT, Chiang SW, Yang M, Yang Z, Pang CP. Associations of the C2-CFB-RDBP-SKIV2L locus with age-related macular degeneration and polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Ophthalmology. 2013 Apr;120:837-43.
- Lu Y, Vitart V, Burdon KP,……, Pang CP, Thorsteinsdottir U, Lotery AJ, Hammond CJ, van Duijn CM, Hauser MA, Rabinowitz YS, Pfeiffer N, Mackey DA, Craig JE, Macgregor S, Wong TY. Genome-wide association analyses identify multiple loci associated with central corneal thickness and keratoconus. Nat Genet. 2013 Feb;45:155-63.
- Vithana EN, Khor CC, Qiao C….., Pang CP, Wang N, Aung T. Genome-wide association analyses identify three new susceptibility loci for primary angle closure glaucoma. Nat Genet. 2012 Oct;44:1142-6.
- Lee SK, Teng Y, Wong HK,……, Pang CP. MicroRNA-145 Regulates Human Corneal Epithelial Differentiation. PLoS One. 2011;6(6):e21249.
- Chu KO, Chan KP, Wang CC, Chu CY, Li WY, Choy KW, Rogers MS, Pang CP. Green tea catechins and their oxidative protection in the rat eye. J Agric Food Chem 2010 Feb;58:1523-34.
- DeWan A, Liu M, Hartman S, ……,Pang CP, Hoh J. HTRA1 promoter polymorphism in wet age-related macular degeneration. Science Nov 2006; 314:989-92.