Prof PANG Chi Pui Calvin 彭智培講座教授
BSc (Lond), DPhil (Oxon)
S.H. Ho Professor of Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Director, CUHK Ophthalmic Research Centre
Honorary Advisor, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
Honorary Advisor, New Territories East Cluster Ophthalmology Service
Director, Joint Shantou International Eye Center
Office tel.: (852) 3943 5801
Fax no.: (852) 2715 9490
Prof Pang received a BSc (Hon) in Biochemistry in 1978, University of London, and DPhil in 1982, University of Oxford, on an EP Abraham Research Fund Scholarship, followed by postdoctoral research in Oxford.
In December 1983, Prof Pang was appointed Lecturer in Chemical Pathology at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) and became a Professor in 1995. In 1998, Prof Pang moved to the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences (DOVS). Prof Pang is also advisor to Hong Kong Eye Hospital, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin Hospital, Alice Ho Nethersole Hospital and North District Hospital, Hong Kong.
Prof Pang serves as academic assessor and reviewer for the Wellcome Trust (UK), National Eye Institute (USA), ARVO (USA) National Medical Research Council (Singapore), Health Research Board (Ireland), Catalan Agency for Health Technology Assessment and Research (Spain), National Science Foundation China, Changjiang Scholar Program China, and other funding organisations. He is also an academic reviewer, external examiner and honorary or visiting Professor of more than 30 clinical, research and tertiary academic institutions in Hong Kong, mainland China and overseas, including University of Melbourne, Purdue University, National University of Singapore, Peking University, and University of Hong Kong.
He has contributed 370 publications in SCI international peer review journals and 13 book chapters.
- GenomicGenomics and gene mapping of glaucoma, retina diseases, cataracts and myopia.
- Molecular mechanisms of primary open angle glaucoma, primary angle closure glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration, polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy, myopia, uveitis, retinoblastoma, Graves’ ophthalmopathy, diabetic retinopathy, retinitis pigmentosa, and cornea dystrophies.
- Gene function studies: PAX6, FGD6, CFH, HTRA1, RB1, ABCA1, MYOC, SIX1/6, CAV1/2 and others.
- Biology of ocular stem cells and retinal ganglion cells.
- Biological effects of herbal molecules on eye diseases.
- Chen JH, Huang C, Zhang B, Yin S, Liang J, Xu C, Huang Y, Cen LP, Ng TK, Zheng C, Zhang S, Chen H, Pang CP, Zhang M. Mutations of RagA GTPase in mTORC1 Pathway Are Associated with Autosomal Dominant Cataracts. PLoS Genet. 2016 Jun 13;12(6):e1006090.
- Huang L, Zhang H, Cheng CY, ……, Pang CP, Yoshimura N, Yang Z. A missense variant in FGD6 confers increased risk of polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Nat Genet. 2016 2016 Jun;48(6):640-7.
- Qin YJ, Chan SO, Chong KK, Li BF, Ng TK, Yip YW, Chen H, Zhang M, Block NL, Cheung HS, Schally AV, Pang CP. Antagonist of GH-releasing hormone receptors alleviates experimental ocular inflammation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Dec 23;111(51):18303-8.
- Chen Y, Lin Y, Vithana EN, ……, Pang CP, Sun X, Yang Z. Common variants near ABCA1 and in PMM2 are associated with primary open-angle glaucoma. Nat Genet. 2014 Oct;46 (10):1115-9
- Shi Y, Gong B, Chen L, Zuo X, Liu X, Tam PO, Zhou X, Zhao P, Lu F, Qu J, Sun L, Zhao F, Chen H, Zhang Y, Zhang D, Lin Y, Lin H, Ma S, Cheng J, Yang J, Huang L, Zhang M, Zhang X, Pang CP, Yang Z. A genome-wide meta-analysis identifies two novel loci associated with high myopia in the Han Chinese population. Hum Mol Genet. 2013 Jun; 22:2325-33.
- Verhoeven VJ, Hysi PG, Wojciechowski R, …., Pang CP, Chen LJ, … Saw SM, Bailey-Wilson JE, Stambolian D, Klaver CC, Hammond CJ. Genome-wide meta-analyses of multiancestry cohorts identify multiple new susceptibility loci for refractive error and myopia. Nat Genet. 2013 Mar;45:314-8
- Liu K, Chen LJ, Tam PO, Shi Y, Lai TY, Liu DT, Chiang SW, Yang M, Yang Z, Pang CP. Associations of the C2-CFB-RDBP-SKIV2L locus with age-related macular degeneration and polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Ophthalmology. 2013 Apr; 120:837-43.
- Vithana EN, Khor CC, Qiao C….., Pang CP, Wang N, Aung T. Genome-wide association analyses identify three new susceptibility loci for primary angle closure glaucoma. Nat Genet. 2012 Oct;44:1142-6.
- Chu KO, Chan KP, Wang CC, Chu CY, Li WY, Choy KW, Rogers MS, Pang CP. Green tea catechins and their oxidative protection in the rat eye. J Agric Food Chem 2010 Feb 10;58:1523-34.
- DeWan A, Liu M, Hartman S, Zhang S, Liu DTL, Zhao C, Tam POS, Chan WM, Lam DSC, Snyder M, Barnstable C, Pang CP, Hoh J. HTRA1 promoter polymorphism in wet age-related macular degeneration. Science Nov 2006; 314:989-992.