Dr Mårten BRELÉN 柏倫助理教授
BMBCh(Oxon), FRCOphth, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Director, Pao So Kok Macular Disease Treatment and Research Centre
Coordinator, Vitreo-Retinal Service, CUHK Eye Centre
Office tel.: (852) 3943 5846
Fax no.: (852) 2715 9490
Make a clinic appointment
Tel: (852) 3943 5886
Dr Mårten Brelén is an Assistant Professor at CUHK. He obtained his preclinical medical degree (MA) from Cambridge University where he graduated with 1st Class Honours. His clinical medical degree (BMBCh) was obtained from Oxford University and he has also spent 4 years in research at the University of Louvain in Belgium which led to the degree of PhD in Biomedical Sciences. Clinically Dr Brelén is fellowship trained at the Bristol Eye Hospital, UK in vitreo-retinal surgery and he is a fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists UK (London).
Dr Brelén is the Head of retina service at the Chinese University of Hong Kong Eye Centre and is the Team Head for the vitreoretinal service at Prince of Wales Hospital. He is the Lead Coordinator of the clinical fellowship programme for vitreoretinal training and the Director of the Pao So Kok Macular Disease Treatment and Research Centre. He is also a visiting Professor at the Joint Shantou International Eye Centre in Shantou, China.
- Development of new electrodiagnostic recording techniques
- Retinal imaging
- Clinical trials research within medical retina
- Visual prosthesis research
- Medical Instrumentation
- Ho M, Woo DC, Chan VC, Young AL, Brelén ME. Treatment of polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy by photodynamic therapy, aflibercept and dexamethasone triple therapy. Sci Rep. 2016 Nov 16;6:36870.
- Ma L, Liu K, Tsujikawa M, Chen H, Brelén ME, Chan VC, Lai TY, Sayanagi K, Hara C, Hashida N, Tam PO, Young AL, Chen W, Nishida K, Pang CP, Chen LJ. Association of ABCG1 With Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration and Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy in Chinese and Japanese. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016 Oct 1;57(13):5758-5763.
- Lai FH, Ng DS, Bakthavatsalam M, Chan VC, Young AL, Luk FO, Tsang CW, Brelén ME. A Multicenter Study on the Long-term Outcomes of Half-dose Photodynamic Therapy in Chronic Central Serous Chorioretinopathy. Am J Ophthalmol. 2016 Oct;170:91-99.
- Ma L, Li Z, Liu K, Rong SS, Brelén ME, Young AL, Kumaramanickavel G, Pang CP, Chen H, Chen LJ. Association of Genetic Variants with Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy: A Systematic Review and Updated Meta-analysis. Ophthalmology. 2015 Sep;122(9):1854-65.
- Liu K, Lai TY, Ma L, Lai FH, Young AL, Brelén ME, Tam PO, Pang CP, Chen LJ. Ethnic differences in the association of SERPING1 with age-related macular degeneration and polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy. Sci Rep. 2015 Mar 24;5:9424.
- Chen X, Rong SS, Xu Q, Tang FY, Liu Y, Gu H, Tam PO, Chen LJ, Brelén ME, Pang CP, Zhao C. Diabetes mellitus and risk of age-related macular degeneration: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2014 Sep 19;9(9):e108196.
- Brelén ME, Vince V, Gérard B, Veraart C, Delbeke J. Measurement of evoked potentials after electrical stimulation of the human optic nerve. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010 Oct;51(10):5351-5.
- Brelén ME, De Potter P, Gersdorff M, Cosnard G, Veraart C, Delbeke J. Intraorbital implantation of a stimulating electrode for an optic nerve visual prosthesis. Case report. J Neurosurg. 2006 Apr;104(4):593-7.
- Duret F, Brelén ME, Lambert V, Gérard B, Delbeke J, Veraart C. Object localization, discrimination, and grasping with the optic nerve visual prosthesis. Restor Neurol Neurosci. 2006;24(1):31-40.
- Brelén ME, Duret F, Gérard B, Delbeke J, Veraart C. Creating a meaningful visual perception in blind volunteers by optic nerve stimulation. J Neural Eng. 2005 Mar;2(1):S22-8.