CUHK-HKEH-PWH International Ophthalmology Fellowship
Cataract Programme Director
The Cataract Surgery Service of the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences operates through the General Ophthalmology Services based at the Hong Kong Eye Hospital and the Prince of Wales Hospital. Our general ophthalmology clinics serve the populations living in Kowloon and the eastern region of the New Territories in Hong Kong.
The goal of the fellowship is to train fellows in expanding their knowledge of cataract and anterior segment surgery and related patient care. The Cataract Fellowship of the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences is a one-year clinical programme which includes excellent exposure to General Ophthalmology, Intraocular Lens Microsurgery-ECCE with IOL, Manual Small Incision, Sutureless Cataract Surgery and Phacoemulsification. The fellow is expected to develop surgical skills and clinical judgment in an environment devoted to excellence in patient care. The fellow will also have an opportunity to teach and work with residents and medical students.
- To train the fellow with the use of sophisticated equipment such as keratometer, A-scan biometry, 3-mirror lens, and YAG laser machine.
- To familiarize the fellow with the surgical management of various difficult situations like subluxated lens, iris – lens coloboma with cataract, secondary IOL surgery including scleral fixation.
- To make them aware of the latest developments in the field of cataract and refractive surgeries.
- At the completion of the fellowship the candidate is expected to conduct oneself in the role of an expert in cataract surgery.
The fellow will have exposure to a variety of patients ranging from simple cataracts to challenging cases. Instructive cases will be discussed in special Teaching Clinics. During the fellowship each fellow is exposed to 7 operating sessions per month, including his/her own list, based on the applicant’s experience. The fellow can expect training in pre-operative assessment, pre- and post-operative care in cataract surgery, innovative surgical techniques in cataract surgery techniques, and premium intra-ocular lens techniques. The fellow is expected to be involved in the teaching of training registrars through tutorials, in the outpatients and theatre.
Research and Publication
A motivated fellow will have the opportunity and is expected to write several articles during the fellowship year. Clinical and basic science research projects are available in the Department. The fellow will be required to develop interest as well as participate in research projects in conjunction with the supervisor. He/she should aim to be the Principal Investigator of at least 1 cataract research project at CUHK. At the conclusion of the Fellowship, each Fellow is expected to have at least 1 publication as first author arising from research done during his / her CUHK Fellowship.
Clinical Attachment for Cataract
- Up to 4 General Ophthalmology Clinics per week at Hong Kong Eye Hospital and/or Prince of Wales Hospital
- At least 2 Cataract operating lists per week
Major Recent Publications:
- Lam DS, Rao SK, Fan AH, Congdon NG, Wong V, Liu Y, Lam PT. Endothelial cell loss and surgically induced astigmatism after sutureless large-incision manual cataract extraction (SLIMCE). Arch Ophthalmol. 2009 Oct;127(10):1284-9.
- Tham CC, Kwong YY, Leung DY, Lam SW, Li FC, Chiu TY, Chan JC, Lam DS, Lai JS. Phacoemulsification versus combined phacotrabeculectomy in medically uncontrolled chronic angle closure glaucoma with cataracts. Ophthalmology. 2009 Apr;116(4):725-31, 731.e1-3.
- Chan FW, Fan AH, Wong FY, Lam PT, Yeoh EK, Yam CH, Griffiths S, Lam DS, Congdon N. Waiting time for cataract surgery and its influence on patient attitudes. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 Aug;50(8):3636-42. Epub 2009 Jan 10.
- Yin Q, Hu A, Liang Y, Zhang J, He M, Lam DS, Ge J, Wang N, Friedman DS, Zhao J, Congdon N. A two-site, population-based study of barriers to cataract surgery in rural china. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 Mar;50(3):1069-75. Epub 2008 Nov 21.
- Wong AL, Leung CK, Weinreb RN, Cheng AK, Cheung CY, Lam PT, Pang CP, Lam DS. Quantitative assessment of lens opacities with anterior segment optical coherence tomography. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009 Jan;93(1):61-5. Epub 2008 Oct 6.Tham CC, Kwong YY, Leung DY, Lam SW, Li FC, Chiu TY, Chan JC, Chan CH, Poon AS, Yick DW, Chi CC, Lam DS, Lai JS. Phacoemulsification versus combined phacotrabeculectomy in medically controlled chronic angle closure glaucoma with cataract. Ophthalmology. 2008 Dec;115(12):2167-2173.e2. Epub 2008 Sep 18.
- Congdon N, Fan H, Choi K, Huang W, Zhang L, Zhang S, Liu K, Hu IC, Zheng Z, Lam DS. Impact of posterior subcapsular opacification on vision and visual function among subjects undergoing cataract surgery in rural China: Study of Cataract Outcomes and Up-Take of Services (SCOUTS) in the Caring is Hip Project, report 5. Br J Ophthalmol. 2008 May;92(5):598-603.
- Congdon N, Rao SK, Choi K, Wang W, Lin S, Chen S, Chen LJ, Liu K, Hu IC, Lam DS. Sources of patient knowledge and financing of cataract surgery in rural China: the Sanrao Study of Cataract Outcomes and Up-Take of Services (SCOUTS), report 6. Br J Ophthalmol. 2008 May;92(5):604-8. Epub 2008 Apr 17.
- Yuen CY, Cheung BT, Tsang CW, Lam RF, Baig NB, Lam DS. Surgically induced astigmatism in phacoemulsification, pars plana vitrectomy, and combined phacoemulsification and vitrectomy: a comparative study. Eye (Lond). 2009 Mar;23(3):576-80. Epub 2008 Mar 7.
- Liu DT, Lee VY, Li CL, Choi PC, Lam PT, Lam DS. Retrocapsular lens matter in uneventful phacoemulsification: does it really exist? Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 2008 Jan-Feb;36(1):31-5.
- Lam DS, Leung DY, Tham CC, Li FC, Kwong YY, Chiu TY, Fan DS. Randomized trial of early phacoemulsification versus peripheral iridotomy to prevent intraocular pressure rise after acute primary angle closure. Ophthalmology. 2008 Jul;115(7):1134-40. Epub 2007 Dec 27.
- Zhou Z, Congdon NG, Zhang M, Chen L, Zheng Z, Zhang L, Lin X, He L, Choi K, Lam DS. Distribution and visual impact of postoperative refractive error after cataract surgery in rural China: study of cataract outcomes and up-take of services report 4. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2007 Dec;33(12):2083-90.
- Liu Y, Congdon NG, Fan H, Zhao X, Choi K, Lam DS. Ocular comorbidities among cataract-operated patients in rural China: the caring is hip Study of Cataract Outcomes and Uptake of Services (SCOUTS), report No. 3. Ophthalmology. 2007 Nov;114(11):e47-52.
- Congdon NG, Rao SK, Zhao X, Wang W, Choi K, Lam DS. Visual function and postoperative care after cataract surgery in rural China: study of cataract outcomes and up-take of services (SCOUTS) in the caring is hip project, report 2. Arch Ophthalmol. 2007 Nov;125(11):1546-52. Epub 2007 Oct 22.
- Lam DS, Congdon NG, Rao SK, Fan H, Liu Y, Zhang L, Lin X, Choi K, Zheng Z, Huang W, Zhou Z, Pang CP. Visual outcomes and astigmatism after sutureless, manual cataract extraction in rural China: study of cataract outcomes and up-take of services (SCOUTS) in the caring is hip project, report 1. Arch Ophthalmol. 2007 Nov;125(11):1539-44. Epub 2007 Oct 22.
- Wong VW, Lai TY, Lee GK, Lam PT, Lam DS. Safety and efficacy of micro-incisional cataract surgery with bimanual phacoemulsification for white mature cataract. Ophthalmologica. 2007;221(1):24-8.
- Tham CC, Li FC, Leung DY, Kwong YY, Yick DW, Lam DS. Microincision bimanual phacotrabeculectomy in eyes with coexisting glaucoma and cataract. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2006 Nov;32(11):1917-20.
- Kwong YY, Yuen HK, Lam RF, Lee VY, Rao SK, Lam DS. Comparison of outcomes of primary scleral-fixated versus primary anterior chamber intraocular lens implantation in complicated cataract surgeries. Ophthalmology. 2007 Jan;114(1):80-5. Epub 2006 Oct 27.
- Fan DS, Yip WW, Yu CB, Rao SK, Lam DS. Updates on the surgical management of paediatric cataract with primary intraocular lens implantation. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2006 Aug;35(8):564-70. Review.
- Fan DS, Rao SK, Yu CB, Wong CY, Lam DS. Changes in refraction and ocular dimensions after cataract surgery and primary intraocular lens implantation in infants. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2006 Jul;32(7):1104-8.
- Fan DS, Chan CK, Cheng AC, Rao SK, Yu CB, Lam DS. Multistage approach to uveitic cataract management in children. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2006 May-Jun;43(3):172-5.
- Fan DS, Tang EW, Rao SK, Xiu-Qin Z, Lam DS. The use of peribulbar anaesthesia in paediatric cataract surgery (age 7-15 years) in a mobile eye camp in China. Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 2006 Jun;84(3):384-7.
- Lam DS, Fan DS, Mohamed S, Yu CB, Zhang SB, Chen WQ. 25-gauge transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy system in the surgical management of children with posterior capsular opacification. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2005 Oct;33(5):495-8.
- Wong VW, Lai TY, Lee GK, Lam PT, Lam DS. A prospective study on trypan blue capsule staining under air vs under viscoelastic. Eye (Lond). 2006 Jul;20(7):820-5.
- Chung CF, Liang CC, Lai JS, Lo ES, Lam DS. Safety of trypan blue 1% and indocyanine green 0.5% in assisting visualization of anterior capsule during phacoemulsification in mature cataract. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2005 May;31(5):938-42.
- Wong VW, Lai TY, Lam PT, Lam DS. Prioritization of cataract surgery: visual analogue scale versus scoring system. ANZ J Surg. 2005 Jul;75(7):587-92.
- Lam DS, Chan CK, Mohamed S, Lai TY, Lee VY, Lai WW, Fan DS, Chan WM. Phacoemulsification with intravitreal triamcinolone in patients with cataract and coexisting diabetic macular oedema: a 6-month prospective pilot study. Eye (Lond). 2005 Aug;19(8):885-90.
- Young AL, Tang WW, Lam DS. The prevalence of pseudoexfoliation syndrome in Chinese people. Br J Ophthalmol. 2004 Feb;88(2):193-5.
- Lam DS, Young AL, Rao SK, Cheung BT, Yuen CY, Tang HM. Combined phacoemulsification, pars plana vitrectomy, and foldable intraocular lens implantation. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2003 Jun;29(6):1064-9.
- Chan JC, Lai JS, Lam DS. Nausea and vomiting after phacoemulsification using topical or retrobulbar anesthesia. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2002 Nov;28(11):1973-6.
- Lai JS, Tham CC, Lam DS. Topical anesthesia in phacotrabeculectomy. J Glaucoma. 2002 Jun;11(3):271-4.
- Lai JS, Loo A, Tham CC, Ho SY, Lam DS. Preoperative latanoprost to prevent ocular hypertension after phacoemulsification and intraocular lens implantation. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2001 Nov;27(11):1792-5.
- Lai JS, Chua JK, Loo A, Ho SY, Lam DS. Effect of intracameral acetylcholine on latanoprost in preventing ocular hypertension after phacoemulsification and intraocular lens implantation. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2001 May;27(5):700-5.
- Fan DS, Lam DS, Li KK. Retinal complications after cataract extraction in patients with high myopia. Ophthalmology. 1999 Apr;106(4):688-91; discussion 691-2.
Basic Sciences Studies/Projects on Cataract
- Zhang LY, Gong B, Tong JP, Fan DS, Chiang SW, Lou D, Lam DS, Yam GH, Pang CP. A novel gammaD-crystallin mutation causes mild changes in protein properties but leads to congenital coralliform cataract. Mol Vis. 2009 Aug 6;15:1521-9.
- Lou D, Tong JP, Zhang LY, Chiang SW, Lam DS, Pang CP. A novel mutation in CRYBB2 responsible for inherited coronary cataract. Eye (Lond). 2009 May;23(5):1213-20. Epub 2008 Jul 11.
- Zhang LY, Yam GH, Fan DS, Tam PO, Lam DS, Pang CP. A novel deletion variant of gammaD-crystallin responsible for congenital nuclear cataract. Mol Vis. 2007 Nov 7;13:2096-104.