Prof YUEN Kwok Lai, Hunter
Dr CHONG Kam Lung, Kelvin
Dr LEUNG Lai Chun, Bonnie
Dr LI Chi Lai
The Orbital & Oculoplastic (OOP) Surgery Service of the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences operates at both the Hong Kong Eye Hospital and the Prince of Wales Hospital, the teaching hospitals of the Chinese University of Hong Kong. We serve the populations living in Kowloon and the eastern region of the New Territories in Hong Kong, and are well attended by over 150 patients each week. OOP Fellows of the CUHK-HKEH-PWH International Ophthalmology Fellowship Programme will actively participate in all clinical services and we will provide in-depth study and comprehensive training in Oculoplastic and Orbital diseases. During the Fellowship, each Fellow are encourage to participate in various research projects. At the conclusion of the Fellowship, each Fellow should be confident in the diagnosis and treatment of common eyelid, lacrimal and orbital diseases.
- Eyelid surgeries (ptosis, entropion and ectropion, eyelid tumor resection and reconstruction)
- Lacrimal surgeries (endoscopic DCR, Jones tubes placement, silicone tube intubation)
- Orbital surgeries (various orbitotomies, orbital biopsy and tumor removal, orbital decompression, endoscopic orbital deccompression, orbital fracture repair with implant)
- Socket surgeries (evisceration, enucleation, exenteration, orbital implant placement)
- Orbital vascular surgeries
- Hong Kong Eye Hospital and Prince of Wales Hospital
- At least 1 OOP Operating List per week at HKEH (Some of the operative sessions will take place at QEH)
- At least 1 OOP Operating List per week at PWH
- Operative sessions with other specialties (ENT, Plastic surgery, Maxillofacial surgery, Neurosurgery) at QEH or PWH
- Grand Round – OOP teaching, case presentation, topic discussion, journal club
- X ray meetings, combined Head and Neck Tumor Conference at Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- Pathology teaching at Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- Eyelid surgeries including entropion and ectropion correction, various types of ptosis surgeries, blepharoplasties…etc.
- Eyelid tumor biopsy and resection techniques.
- Eyelid reconstruction techniques with the use of various flaps and grafts.
- Lacrimal surgeries including syringing and probing, external or endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy, balloon dacryoplasty, Jones tube insertion…etc.
- Socket surgeries including evisceration, enucleation, exenteration, orbital implant placement, socket reconstruction…etc.
- Orbital Surgeries including anterior, medial, lateral, inferior orbitotmoies, orbital decompression..etc
- Others (Repair of orbital fractures, repair of eyelid injuries, botox injection, nasal endoscopy)
- Cheung JJC, Esmaeli B, Lam SC, Kwok T, Yuen HKL. The practice patterns in the management of sebaceous carcinoma of the eyelid in the Asia Pacific region. Eye(Lond). 2019 Apr 5. doi: 10.1038/s41433-019-0432-0. PubMed PMID: 30952958.
- Chan TCY, Chow SSW, Wan KHN, Yuen HKL. Update on the association between dry eye disease and meibomian gland dysfunction. Hong Kong Med J. 2019 Feb;25(1):38-47. doi: 10.12809/hkmj187331. Epub 2019 Jan 31. Review. PubMed PMID: 30713149.
- Lam SC, Li EYM, Yuen HKL. 14-year case series of eyelid sebaceous gland carcinoma in Chinese patients and review of management. Br J Ophthalmol. 2018 Dec;102(12):1723-1727. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2017-311533. Epub 2018 Feb 19. PubMed PMID: 29459429.
- Mawn LA, Dolman PJ, Kazim M, Strianese D, Genol I, Chong KKL, Sullivan TJ, Korn BS, Naik M, Dutton J, Velasco E Cruz A, Li C. Soft Tissue Metrics in Thyroid Eye Disease: An International Thyroid Eye Disease Society Reliability Study. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018 Nov/Dec;34(6):544-546. (Impact Factor: 1.283) [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29465482]
- Kwok T, Ali MJ, Yuen H. Preferred practice patterns in endoscopic dacryocystorhinostomy among oculoplastic surgeons in Asia-Pacific region. Orbit. 2018 Aug;37(4):248-253. doi: 10.1080/01676830.2017.1383480. Epub 2017 Oct 17. PubMed PMID: 29039995.
- Lai THT, Lai FHP, Chan TCY, Young AL, Chong KKL. Lacrimal gland abscess in children: Two case reports and literature review. Orbit. 2017 Dec;36(6):468-472. [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28820293]
- Li EY, Wong ES, Wong AC, Yuen HK. Primary vs Secondary Endoscopic Dacryocystorhinostomy for Acute Dacryocystitis With Lacrimal Sac Abscess Formation: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017 Dec 1;135(12):1361-1366. doi: 10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2017.4798. PubMed PMID: 29121183.
- Iao TWU, Rong SS, Ling AN, Brelén ME, Young AL, Chong KKL. Electrophysiological Studies in Thyroid Associated Orbitopathy: A Systematic Review. Sci Rep. 2017 Sep 21;7(1):12108. (Impact Factor: 4.122) [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28935968]
- Wong ES, Li EY, Yuen HK. Long-term outcomes of punch punctoplasty with Kelly punch and review of literature. Eye (Lond). 2017 Apr;31(4):560-565. doi: 10.1038/eye.2016.271. Epub 2016 Dec 2. Review. PubMed PMID: 27911445; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5395998.