Dr CHAN Kar Mun, Carmen
Dr CHAN Ching Yan, Noel
The Neuro-ophthalmology Service of the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences operates at both the Hong Kong Eye Hospital (HKEH) and the Prince of Wales Hospital (PWH), the teaching hospital of the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Our 2 Neuro-ophthalmology Subspecialty Clinics serve the populations living in Kowloon and the eastern region of the New Territories in Hong Kong, and are attended by about 50 patients each week. The neuro-ophthalmology subspecialty programme aims to provide structured advanced training in neuro-ophthalmology for comprehensive ophthalmologists or sub-specialists in other areas (e.g. oculoplastic or glaucoma) who have an interest in neuro-ophthalmology. At the conclusion of the Fellowship, the Fellow should be competent in the diagnosis and management of a wide range of neuro-ophthalmic conditions. Participation in clinical research is expected. This programme is currently not offered as a standalone fellowship. It may be undertaken by a candidate in combination with another subspecialty, usually oculoplastics, but it can also be combined with other subspecialties by special arrangement.
- 3 Neuro-ophthalmology clinics per week (2 at HKEH and 1 at PWH)
- 1 Combined neurology and neurosurgery grand round at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital per week
- 1 electrophysiology session a week
- 1 Neuro-radiology meeting every 2 months
- 1 Botox clinic every month at HKEH
- Other practical procedures: temporal artery biopsy (if suitable cases arise)
- 1 Presentation at Grand round every 2 months approximately
- Sharma S, Ang M, Najjar RP, Sng C, Cheung CY, Rukmini AV, Schmetterer L, Milea D. Optical coherence tomography angiography in acute non-arteritic anterior ischaemic optic neuropathy. Br J Ophthalmol. 2017 Aug;101(8):1045-1051.(Impact Factor: 3.036) [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28057645]
- Storoni M, Chan CK, Cheng AC, Chan NC, Leung CK. The Pathogenesis of Nonarteritic
Anterior Ischaemic Optic Neuropathy. Asia-Pac J Ophthalmol. 2013;2:132-135
- Cheng AC, Chan NC, Chan CK. Acute and subacute inflammation of the optic nerve and its sheath – clinical features in Chinese. Hong Kong Med J. 2012 Apr;18(2):115-22
- Chan CK. The use of optical coherence tomography in neuro-ophthalmology. Hong Kong J Ophthalmol 2011 Feb;15(1):12-19
- Cheng, CO. Thyroid-associated ophthalmopahty: a neuro-ophthalmologist’s perspective.
Hong Kong J Ophthalmol 2011 Feb;15(1):30-34
- Chan CK, Cheng CO, Leung CK, Cheung CY, Yung AY, Gong B, Lam DS, Quantitative
assessment of optic nerve head morphology and retinal nerve fibre layer in non-arteritic anterior ischaemic optic neuropathy with optical coherence tomography and confocal scanning laser ophthalmoloscopy. B J Ophthalmol 2009 Jun;93(6):731-5.
- Chan CK, Miller NR. Residual Peripapillary Nerve Fiber Layer Thickness in Patients with No Light Perception from Long-Standing Non-glaucomatous Optic Atrophy. J Neuroophthalmol. 2007 Sep;27(3):176-9