Dr Carol YL CHEUNG
BSc (HKU), MPhil (HKU), PhD (Bham)
(852) 3943 0791
- Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, CUHK
Dr Cheung’s main research interest is “imaging of the eye”, based on the concept that the eyes are the “window” to the human circulation and nervous systems. She has been working in the field of ocular imaging for more than 15 years in Hong Kong and in Singapore, focus on development and application of image analysis techniques and artificial intelligence for studying diabetic retinal disease, glaucoma and Alzheimer’s disease. She is now focused on translating her artificial intelligence-related research from “concept” to “implementation”, with an aim to enhance eye disease screening in primary care, and eye disease triaging in tertiary clinics, for timely eye disease management and treatment. This will bring significant societal impact by improving quality and efficiency of the clinical service in Hong Kong and beyond the region. Dr Cheung has authored more than 250 original research articles, 9 commentary or editorial articles and 27 review articles in SCI international indexed peer reviewed journals, and 14 book chapters. She has published several landmark papers on development of AI-based technologies in ocular imaging for detection of multiple eye diseases, and quantitative analysis for assessing diabetic microvascular diseases from optical coherence tomography angiography, with an H-index of 55 and citations >10,200 (Scopus, Jan 2022).
Using ocular imaging technology and artificial intelligence to study human circulation and nervous systems, and link with eye, brain and cardiovascular diseases, in particular, diabetic eye disease, glaucoma, Alzheimer’s disease and stroke.
|Advisory Committee Member||JAMA Ophthalmology|
|Associate Editor||Heliyon - Cell Press|
|Editorial Board Member||Journal of Alzheimer's Disease|
|Editorial Board Member||The Asia-Pacific Journal of Ophthalmology (APJO)|
|Secretary-General||Asia-Pacific Ocular Imaging Society (APOIS)|
|Secretary||Research Standing Committee, Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO)|
|Member||Multidisciplinary Ophthalmic Imaging (MOI) cross-sectional group, the Annual Meeting Program Committee (AMPC), Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)|
|Committee member||AI & Digital Innovation Standing Committee, Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO)|
|Council Board Member and Treasurer||Asia-Pacific Tele-Ophthalmology Society|
|Honorary Member||Retinal Vascular Disease Committee, Cross-strait Medical and Health Exchange Association|
- Studying the human microcirculation via the retinal and choroidal vessels using state-of-the-art ocular imaging technologies
- Studying the central nervous system via the optic nerve and retinal neuronal and axonal layers using state-of-the-art ocular imaging technologies
- Development and application of image analysis techniques and artificial intelligence (AI) for eye disease detection and prognosis.
- Implementation of AI algorithms in primary care and tertiary care settings to support eye disease screening, triaging and referral pathway for timely eye disease treatment and management.
- Identification of new imaging makers for predicting diabetic retinal disease and its progression.
- Identification of vascular imaging markers in normal tension glaucoma.
- Understanding of the epidemiology, systemic associations and clinical implications of hypertensive eye disease.
- Using retinal imaging to study Alzheimer’s disease.
- Linking age-related eye disease (e.g. glaucoma) and Alzheimer’s disease.
Results of Note
- Developed and validated AI-based algorithms for eye disease classification.
- Developed and validated different methods to quantify retinal vasculature and capillary network.
- Showed that retinal vascular assessment can provide additional prognostic information on retinopathy risk prediction in persons with diabetes.
- Demonstrated retinal imaging is a promising tool to study brain diseases including Alzheimer’s disease and stroke.
- Received competitive research grant funding from General Research Fund (GRF), HKSAR Food and Health Bureau, and BrightFocus Foundation.
- Tang F, Wang X, Ran AR, Chan CKM, Ho M, Yip W, Young AL, Lok J, Szeto S, Chan J, Yip F, Wong R, Tang Z, Yang D, Ng DS, Chen LJ, Brelén M, Chu V, Li K, Lai THT, Tan GS, Ting DSW, Huang H, Chen H, Ma JH, Tang S, Leng T, Kakavand S, Mannil SS, Chang RT, Liew G, Gopinath B, Lai TYY, Pang CP, Scanlon PH, Wong TY, Tham CC, Chen H, Heng PA, Cheung CY*. A Multitask Deep-Learning System to Classify Diabetic Macular Edema for Different Optical Coherence Tomography Devices: A Multicenter Analysis. Diabetes Care. 2021 Sep;44(9):2078-2088.
- Cheung CY*, Mok V, Foster PJ, Trucco E, Chen C, Wong TY. Retinal imaging in Alzheimer’s disease. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2021 Sep;92(9):983-994.
- Yang D, Sun Z, Shi J, Ran A, Tang F, Tang Z, Lok J, Szeto S, Chan J, Yip F, Zhang L, Meng Q, Rasmussen M, Grauslund J, Cheung CY*. A Multitask Deep-Learning System For Assessment Of Diabetic Macular Ischemia On Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography Images. Retina. 2022 Jan 1;42(1):184-194.
- Cheung CY, Xu D, Cheng CY, Sabanayagam C, Tham YC, Yu M, Rim TH, Chai CY, Gopinath B, Mitchell P, Poulton R, Moffitt TE, Caspi A, Yam JC, Tham CC, Jonas JB, Wang YX, Song SJ, Burrell LM, Farouque O, Li LJ, Tan G, Ting DSW, Hsu W, Lee ML, Wong TY. A deep-learning system for the assessment of cardiovascular disease risk via the measurement of retinal-vessel calibre. Nat Biomed Eng. 2021 Jun;5(6):498-508.
- Cheung CY, Li SL, Chan N, Chan PP, Wang YM, Wong M, Lai I, Tham CC. Intraocular Pressure Control Predicts Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Thinning in Primary Angle Closure Disease: The CUPAL Study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2021 Aug 17;S0002-9394(21)00404-9.
- Cheung CY, Li SL, Chan PPM, Chan NCY, Tan S, Man X, Tham CC. Intraocular pressure control and visual field changes in primary angle closure disease: the CUHK PACG Longitudinal (CUPAL) study. Br J Ophthalmol. 2020 May;104(5):629-635.
- Milea D, Najjar RP, Zhubo J, Ting D, Vasseneix C, Xu X, Aghsaei Fard M, Fonseca P, Vanikieti K, Lagrèze WA, La Morgia C, Cheung CY, Hamann S, Chiquet C, Sanda N, Yang H, Mejico LJ, Rougier M-B, Kho R, Thi Ha Chau T, Singhal S, Gohier P, Clermont-Vignal C, Cheng C-Y, Jonas JB, Yu-Wai-Man P, Fraser CL, Chen JJ, Ambika S, Miller NR, Liu Y, Newman NJ, Wong TY, Biousse V; BONSAI Group. Artificial Intelligence to Detect Papilledema from Ocular Fundus Photographs. N Engl J Med. 2020 Apr 30;382(18):1687-1695.
- Wang X, Chen H, Ran AR, Luo L, Chan PP, Tham CC, Chang RT, Mannil SS, Cheung CY, Heng PA. Towards Multi-center Glaucoma OCT Image Screening with Semi-supervised Joint Structure and Function Multi-task Learning Medical Image Analysis. Medical Image Analysis. 2020 Jul;63:101695.
- Sun Z, Tang F, Wong R, Lok J, Szeto SKH, Chan JCK, Chan CKM, Tham CC, Ng DS, Cheung CY*. OCT Angiography Metrics Predict Progression of Diabetic Retinopathy and Development of Diabetic Macular Edema: A Prospective Study. Ophthalmology. 2019 Dec;126(12):1675-1684.
- Ran AR, Cheung CY*, Wang X, Chen H, Luo LY, Chan PP, Chang RT, Mannil SS, Young AL, Pang CP, Heng PA, Tham CC. Detection of glaucomatous optic neuropathy with spectral-domain optical coherence tomography: a retrospective training and validation deep-learning analysis. The Lancet Digital Health. 2019;1(4):e172-e82.
- Ran AR, Shi J, Ngai AK, Chan WY, Chan PP, Young AL, Yung HW, Tham CC, Cheung CY*. Artificial intelligence deep learning algorithm for discriminating ungradable optical coherence tomography three-dimensional volumetric optic disc scans. Neurophotonics. Oct;6(4):041110.
- Chan VTT, Sun Z, Tang S, Chen LJ, Wong A, Tham CC, Wong TY, Chen C, Ikram MK, Whitson HE, Lad EM, Mok V, Cheung CY*. Spectral Domain-Optical Coherence Tomography Measurements in Alzheimer’s Disease: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Ophthalmology. 2019 Apr;126(4):497-510.
- Cheung CY, Tang F, Ting DSW, Tan GSW, Wong TY. Artificial Intelligence in Diabetic Eye Disease Screening. Asia Pac J Ophthalmol (Phila). 2019 Mar;8(2):158-164
- Cheung CY*, Tang F, Ng DS, Wong R, Lok J, Sun Z, Tso T, Lam A, Brelén M, Chong KK, Luk AO, Chan JC, Wong TY, Tham CC. The Relationship of Quantitative Retinal Capillary Network to Kidney Function in Type 2 Diabetes. Am J Kidney Dis. 2018 Jun;71(6):916-918.
- Cheung CY, Li J, Yuan N, Lau GYL, Chan AYF, Lam A, Tang FY, Tham CC, Pang CP, Chen LJ, Yam JC. Quantitative retinal microvasculature in children using swept-source optical coherence tomography: the Hong Kong Children Eye Study. Br J Ophthalmol. 2018 Jun 28;bjophthalmol-2018-312413.
- Cheung CY, Li SL, Chan N, Wong M, Chan P, Lai I, Baig N, Tan S, Man X, Tang F, Wang YM, Tham CC. Factors Associated with Long-Term Intraocular Pressure Fluctuation in Primary Angle Closure Disease: The CUHK PACG Longitudinal (CUPAL) Study. J Glaucoma. 2018 Aug;27(8):703-710.
- Tang F, Sun Z, Wong R, Lok J, Lam A, Tham CC, Chan CK, Mohamed S, Lam TC, Szeto SK, Ng DS, Cheung CY*. Relationship of intercapillary area with visual acuity in diabetes mellitus: an optical coherence tomography angiography study. Br J Ophthalmol. 2018 Jun 4;bjophthalmol-2017-312010
- Ting DS, Cheung CY, Lim G, Tan GS, Quang ND, Gan A, Hamzah H, Garcia-Franco R, Yeo IY, Lee SY, Wong EY, Sabanyagam C, Mani B, Ibrahim F, Tan NC, Finkelstein EA, Lamoureux EL, Wong IY, Bressler N, Sivaprasad S, Varma R, Jonas JB, He MG, Cheng CY, Cheung GC, Aung T, Hsu W, Lee ML, Wong TY. Development and Validation of a Deep Learning System for Diabetic Retinopathy and related Eye Diseases using Retinal Images from Multi-ethnic Populations with Diabetes. JAMA. Dec 12;318(22):2211-2223.
- Cheung CY*, Ikram MK, Chen C, Wong TY. Imaging Retina to Study Dementia and Stroke. Prog Retin Eye Res. 2017 Mar;57:89-107.
- Tang FY, Ng DS, Lam A, Luk F, Wong R, Chan C, Mohamed S, Fong A, Lok J, Tso T, Lai F, Brelen M, Wong TY, Tham CCC, Cheung CY*. Determinants of Quantitative Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography Metrics in Patients with Diabetes. Sci Rep. 2017 May 31; 7(1):2575.
(* corresponding author)
In the Media
|21/08/2021||UrbanLife Health <<醫療學堂>> :10秒小測試了解青光眼症狀 早期難察覺中大創AI及早篩查|
|30/10/2020||Omnihealth Practice : Capturing the silent thief of sight: an AI screening system for glaucoma|
|09/08/2019||The Lancet Digital Health : Deep learning diagnosis of glaucoma|