Dr CHAN Pui Man Poemen
MBBS (HKU), M.ResMed (HKU), FRCS (Edin), FCOphth (HK), FHKAM (Ophth)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Glaucoma Service, CUHK Eye Centre
- Academic Coordinator, Glaucoma Service, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
- Honorary Associate Consultant, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
- Honorary Associate Consultant, New Territories East Cluster Ophthalmology Service
Dr. Poemen Chan graduated from The University of Hong Kong with multiple scholarships and awards, including CP Fong Gold Medal in Medicine, H.C. Liu Prizes in Anatomy, Mr & Mrs. S. H. Wong Foundation Scholarship, BL Wong Scholarships and Yu Chun Keung Mem. Scholarships. He was trained in Hong Kong Eye Hospital since 2007 and was promoted associated consultant in 2014. During his ophthalmology training, he granted the HC Ho Medical Education Foundation Scholarship for his overseas training in Moorfield’s Eye Hospital (London, UK) and Prism’s Eye Institute (Toronto, Canada). During the service, he received the Best Poster Display Award in the Hospital Authority Convention 2014, Outstanding Staff and Team Award in Hospital Authority Convention 2016 and The Best Service Provider award of Hong Kong Eye Hospital.
Dr. Chan is currently a faculty member of the CUHK-HKEH-PWH International Fellowship Programme, the programme director of glaucoma surgery subspecialty for the CUHK Jockey Club Ophthalmic Microsurgical Training Programme and the Academic Coordinator of the glaucoma service of Hong Kong Eye Hospital. He serves as glaucoma subspecialty liaison for World Ophthalmology Congress (WOC) 2018, Secretary of glaucoma subspecialty for The 33rd Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO) Congress 2018 and as International Advisory Committee of The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology- Asia (ARVO-Asia) in 2017.
- Using ocular imaging technology to study human circulation and nervous systems, and link with eye, brain and cardiovascular diseases, in particular, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, Alzheimer’s disease and stroke
World Ophthalmology Congress 2018 (Spain)
The 2nd Asia Pacific Tele-Ophthalmology Society Symposium 2017
Paediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus Subspecialty Liaison
The 5th International Congress OCT Angiography and Advances in OCT 2017
The 31st Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology Congress 2016 (Taiwan)
Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Annual Meeting 2015 (USA)
- Development and application of image analysis techniques for studying eye diseases including diabetic retinopathy, diabetic macular edema and glaucoma.
- Identification of new imaging subclinical makers for predicting diabetic retinopathy progression.
- The role of vascular imaging markers in normal tension glaucoma.
- Development of risk prediction algorithms based on imaging measures for stratifying patients into different risk categories.
- Retinal ganglion cell and microvascular network imaging in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Linking age-related eye disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
Results of Note
- Developed and validated different methods to quantify retinal vasculature and capillary network.
- Showed that retinal vascular assessment can provide additional prognostic information on retinopathy risk prediction in persons with diabetes.
- Demonstrated retinal imaging is a promising tool to study brain diseases including Alzheimer’s disease and stroke.
- Received competitive research grant funding from HKSAR Food and Health Bureau, titled “Novel Retinal Imaging Biomarkers for Cognitive Decline”.
- Cheung CY, Ikram MK, Chen C, Wong TY. Imaging Retina to Study Dementia and Stroke. Prog Retin Eye Res. 2017 Mar;57:89-107.
- Tang FY, Ng DS, Lam A, Luk F, Wong R, Chan C, Mohamed S, Fong A, Lok J, Tso T, Lai F, Brelen M, Wong TY, Tham CCC, Cheung CY. Determinants of Quantitative Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography Metrics in Patients with Diabetes. Sci Rep. 2017 May 31; 7(1):2575.
- Cheung CY, Sabanayagam C, Law AK, Kumari N, Ting DS, Tan G, Mitchell P, Cheng CY, Wong TY. Retinal vascular geometry and 6 year incidence and progression of diabetic retinopathy. Diabetologia. (In press 2017)
- Wang LZ, Cheung CY, Tapp RJ, Hamzah H, Tan G, Ting D, Lamoureux E, Wong TY. Availability and variability in guidelines on diabetic retinopathy screening in Asian countries. Br J Ophthalmol. (In Press 2017)
- Cheung CY, Ikram MK, Klein R, Wong TY. The clinical implications of recent studies on the structure and function of the retinal microvasculature in diabetes. Diabetologia. 2015 May;58(5):871-85.
- Cheung CY, Ong YT, Hilal S, Ikram MK, Low S5, Ong YL, Venketasubramanian N, Yap P, Seow D, Chen CL, Wong TY. Retinal Ganglion Cell Analysis Using High-Definition Optical Coherence Tomography in Patients with Mild Cognitive Impairment and Alzheimer’s Disease. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. 2015;45(1):45-56.
- Cheung CY, Ong YT, Ikram MK, Ong SY, Li X, Catindig JAS, Venketasubramanian N, Yap P, Seow D, Chen CP, Wong TY. Microvascular network alterations in the retina of patients with Alzheimer’s Disease. Alzheimers Dement. 2014 Mar;10(2):135-42.
- Cheung CY, Ong YT, Ikran MK, Chen CP, Wong TY. Retinal Microvasculature in Alzheimer’s disease. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. 2014 Jan 1; 42(0):S339-52.
(* co-first author; # corresponding author)