MBBS (HK), M Med Sc (HK), FRCS (Edin), FRCS (Glasg), FCOphth (HK), FHKAM (Ophth), PGDipClinDerm (Lond)
Assistant Professor, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Deputizing Director, CUHK Refractive Surgery Centre
Honorary Associate Consultant, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
Office tel.: (852) 3943 5807
Fax no.: (852) 2715 9490
Make a clinic appointment
Tel: (852) 3943 5886
Dr. Tommy Chan graduated from the University of Hong Kong with multiple scholarships and awards, including the John Anderson Gold Medal, which is presented to the medical graduate with overall best performance in all examinations at the University of Hong Kong Medical School. During his ophthalmic training in Hong Kong Eye Hospital, he was awarded the Asia Cornea Society – Santen Asia Educational Grant for clinical training in the Cornea subspecialty at Osaka University, and the Hospital Authority Corporate Scholarship for training in Cornea and External Eye Diseases at Wills Eye Hospital. Dr. Chan also received the Outstanding Service Provider Award of Hong Kong Eye Hospital. He was elected Distinguished Young Fellow of the College of Ophthalmologists of Hong Kong in 2016.
Dr. Chan has a special clinical and research interest in refractive surgeries, cornea and external eye diseases. He has published over 50 articles in peer-reviewed journals and 3 book chapters. He has publications in high-impact journals, including the New England Journal of Medicine, Ophthalmology, American Journal of Ophthalmology, and Journal of Refractive Surgery. He also participated actively in local and international conferences. He was the Chairman of the Small Incision Lenticule Extraction (SMILE) certificate instruction course 2016 in Hong Kong. He is currently the Section Editor of Hong Kong Journal of Ophthalmology, and reviewers of several international journals.
Dr. Chan is currently a faculty member of the CUHK-HKEH-PWH Joint International Ophthalmology Fellowship Program, Director and Honorary Secretary of the Hong Kong Federation of Societies for the Prevention of Blindness, Council member of the Hong Kong Ophthalmological Society, and Education Subcommittee Member of the Eye Care Charitable Foundation.
- Corneal refractive surgeries, including laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis (LASIK), small incision lenticule extraction (SMILE) and surface ablation.
- Application of corneal collagen crosslinking (CXL) in keratoconus, keratitis and refractive surgeries.
- Advanced cataract surgeries and implantation of premium intraocular lenses
- Presbyopic treatments
- Imaging and management of dry eye diseases
- Corneal transplantation
- Chan TC, Ng AL, Chan KK, Cheng GP, Wong IY, Jhanji V. Combined application of prophylactic corneal cross-linking and laser in-situ keratomileusis – a review of literature. Acta Ophthalmol. 2016 Dec 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chan TC, Kwok PS, Jhanji V, Woo VC, Ng AL. Presbyopic Correction Using Monocular Bi-aspheric Ablation Profile (PresbyMAX) in Hyperopic Eyes: 1-Year Outcomes. J Refract Surg. 2017 Jan 1;33(1):37-43.
- Chan TC, Yu MC, Ng AL, Cheng GP, Zhang J, Wang Y, Jhanji V. Short-term Variance of Refractive Outcomes After Simultaneous LASIK and High-Fluence Cross-linking in High Myopic Correction. J Refract Surg. 2016 Oct 1;32(10):664-670.
- Chan TC, Ng AL, Cheng GP, Wang Z, Woo VC, Jhanji V. Corneal Astigmatism and Aberrations After Combined Femtosecond-Assisted Phacoemulsification and Arcuate Keratotomy: Two-Year Results. Am J Ophthalmol. 2016 Oct;170:83-90.
- Chan TC, Agarwal T, Vajpayee RB, Jhanji V. Cross-linking for microbial keratitis. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2016 Jul;27(4):348-52.
- Chan TC, Chow VW, Jhanji V, Wong VW. Different Topographic Response Between Mild to Moderate and Advanced Keratoconus After Accelerated Collagen Cross-linking. Cornea. 2015 Aug;34(8):922-7.
- Chan TC, Cheng GP, Wang Z, Tham CC, Woo VC, Jhanji V. Vector Analysis of Corneal Astigmatism After Combined Femtosecond-Assisted Phacoemulsification and Arcuate Keratotomy. Am J Ophthalmol. 2015 Aug;160(2):250-255.
- Chan TC, Jhanji V. Images in clinical medicine. Amiodarone-induced vortex keratopathy. N Engl J Med. 2015 Apr 23;372(17):1656.
- Chan TC, Liu D, Yu M, Jhanji V. Longitudinal evaluation of posterior corneal elevation after laser refractive surgery using swept-source optical coherence tomography. Ophthalmology. 2015 Apr;122(4):687-92.
- Chan TC, Lam JK, Jhanji V, Li EY. Comparison of outcomes of primary anterior chamber versus secondary scleral-fixated intraocular lens implantation in complicated cataract surgeries. Am J Ophthalmol. 2015 Feb;159(2):221-6.