- MMed, Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Shandong University
- BMed, Shandong University
- Anterior segment optical coherence tomography (OCT) imaging in keratoconus
- Keratoconus genetics
- The pathophysiological mechanisms of keratoconus development
(1) Anterior segment imaging with swept-source OCT
Anterior segment imaging plays an important role in keratoconus diagnosis. To determine the factors associated with keratoconus progression, we measured anterior segment parameters using the swept-source OCT in keratoconus patients. This study can provide a new paradigm for the evaluation of keratoconus progression.
(2) Keratoconus genetic study
Keratoconus is a non-inflammatory corneal ectasia with a typical onset at puberty, frequently resulting in keratoplasty (corneal transplantation). Although the etiology is still elusive, it has been suggested to be multifactorial, including complex interactions between genetic and environmental factors. We aim to identify critical genetic variants associated with keratoconus in Hong Kong population.
(3) Studying the pathophysiological mechanisms for keratoconus development
The pathology of keratoconus includes the reduced rigidity of corneal tissue, a reduction in lamellae and structural integrity as well as the structural metabolic and remodeling in epithelial and stromal layers. We are investigating the pathophysiological mechanisms in corneal cells for keratoconus development.