Dr CHAN Pui Man Poemen 陳培文助理教授
MBBS (HKU), M.ResMed (HKU), FRCS (Edin), FCOphth (HK), FHKAM (Ophth)
Assistant Professor, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Glaucoma Service, CUHK Eye Centre
Academic Coordinator, Glaucoma Service, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
Honorary Associate Consultant, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
Honorary Associate Consultant, New Territories East Cluster Ophthalmology Service
Office tel.: (852) 3943 5807
Fax no.: (852) 2715 9490
Make a clinic appointment
Tel: (852) 3943 5886
Dr. Poemen Chan graduated from The University of Hong Kong with multiple scholarships and awards, including CP Fong Gold Medal in Medicine, H.C. Liu Prizes in Anatomy, Mr & Mrs. S. H. Wong Foundation Scholarship, BL Wong Scholarships and Yu Chun Keung Mem. Scholarships. He was trained in Hong Kong Eye Hospital since 2007 and was promoted associated consultant in 2014. During his ophthalmology training, he granted the HC Ho Medical Education Foundation Scholarship for his overseas training in Moorfield’s Eye Hospital (London, UK) and Prism’s Eye Institute (Toronto, Canada). During the service, he received the Best Poster Display Award in the Hospital Authority Convention 2014, Outstanding Staff and Team Award in Hospital Authority Convention 2016 and The Best Service Provider award of Hong Kong Eye Hospital.
Dr. Chan is currently a faculty member of the CUHK-HKEH-PWH International Fellowship Programme, the programme director of glaucoma surgery subspecialty for the CUHK Jockey Club Ophthalmic Microsurgical Training Programme and the Academic Coordinator of the glaucoma service of Hong Kong Eye Hospital. He serves as glaucoma subspecialty liaison for World Ophthalmology Congress (WOC) 2018, Secretary of glaucoma subspecialty for The 33rd Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO) Congress 2018 and as International Advisory Committee of The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology- Asia (ARVO-Asia) in 2017.
1. Ocular hypertension – risk assessment and cost effectiveness of treatment
2. Cost-effectiveness analysis of glaucoma treatment
3. New surgical techniques of glaucoma surgery
4. Risk assessment of glaucoma
5. Angle closure glaucoma and normal tension glaucoma
1. Chan PP, Li EY, Tsoi KF, Kwong YY, Tham CC. Cost-effectiveness of phacoemulsification versus combined phacotrabeculectomy for treating primary angle closure glaucoma. J Glaucoma 2017;26:911-22.
2. Chan PP, Tham CC. Commentary on effectiveness of early lens extraction for the treatment of primary angle-closure glaucoma (EAGLE). Ann Eye Sci. 2017. Apr 22; 2(21):1-4.
3. Chan PP, Leung CK, Chiu V, Gangwani R, Sharma A, So S, Congdon N. Protocol-driven adjustment of ocular hypotensive medication in patients at low risk of conversion to glaucoma. Br. J Ophthalmol. 2015 Mar 2 [Epub ahead of print]
4. Tan S, Yu M, Baig N, Chan PP, Tang FY, Tham CC. Circadian intraocular pressure fluctuation and disease progression in primary angle closure glaucoma. IOVS 2015;56:4994-5005.
5. Chan PP, Li EY, Tham CC. Cost-effectiveness in the treatment of glaucoma (Review). US Ophthalmic Review, 2014;7(2):131–6.
6. Chan PP and Leung CK – “Spectral-domain Optical Coherence Tomography Imaging of the Eye” Vinekar A and Avadhani K. Elsevier. 2013. Three textbook chapters: 1. Angle Imaging; 2. Anterior Chamber Angle and Iris configuration Changes After Peripheral Laser Iridotomy; 3. Glaucoma Drainage Device – Imaging
7. Fok AC, Chan PP, Lam DS, Lai TY.Risk Factors for Recurrence of Serous Macular Detachment in Untreated Patients with Central Serous Chorioretinopathy. Ophthalmic Res. 2011 Mar 10;46(3):160-163. [Epub ahead of print]
8. Fok AC, Luk FO, Wong VW, Chan PP, Lai TY. Patient comfort levels and treatment parameters in laser photocoagulation: comparison of patterned scanning versus single spot laser machines. HKJO (15:2) 2011
9. Leung DY, Iliev ME, Chan P, Baig N, Chi SC, Tham CC, Lam DS. Pressure-cornea-vascular index (PCVI) for predicting disease progression in normal tension glaucoma. Br J Ophthalmol. 2010 Aug 7. [Epub ahead of print]
10. Leung DYL, Chan PPM, Tham CCY, Lam DSC. Normal tension glaucoma: risk factors pertaining to a sick eye in a sick body (Review). HKJO (13:1) 2009; 15-21.