CUHK-HKEH-PWH International Ophthalmology Fellowship
Ocular Imaging Programme Director:
The Ocular Imaging Team of the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences operates at Hong Kong Eye Hospital, the teaching eye hospital of the Chinese University of Hong Kong. The key areas of our research focus on retinal nerve fiber, optic disc and retinal ganglion cells imaging. We also integrate with other subspecialties to employ new imaging technologies to study corneal and retinal diseases in both clinical and experimental settings. Fellows of the CUHK-HKEH Joint International Ophthalmology Fellowship Programme will actively participate in all clinical services and various research projects. During the Fellowship, each Fellow should complete at least one research project as principle investigator.
Key areas of research
Optic disc and nerve fiber layer imaging
Measurement of optic disc parameters and retinal nerve fiber layer thickness is important for detecting and following glaucoma. High speed, high resolution imaging of the retina and optic disc is now possible with the availability of new imaging technologies including spectral domain optical coherence tomography, scanning laser polarimetry and confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscopy. The research team in CUHK is developing new algorithms to detect and analyze progressive damage of the optic nerve head and nerve fiber layer in glaucoma.
- Leung CK, Cheung CY, Weinreb RN, Qiu K, Liu S, Li H, Xu G, Fan N, Pang CP, Tse RK, Lam DS. Evaluation of retinal nerve fiber layer progression in glaucoma with optical coherence tomography guided progression analysis (GPA). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009 In press.
- Leung CK, Cheung CY, Weinreb RN, Qiu Q, Liu S, Li H, Xu G, Fan N, Huang L, Pang CP, Lam DS. Retinal nerve fiber layer imaging with spectral-domain optical coherence tomography: a variability and diagnostic performance study. Ophthalmology. 2009;116:1257-63.
- Lin D, Leung CK, Weinreb RN, Cheung CY, Li H, Lam DS. Longitudinal evaluation of optic disc measurement variability with optical coherence tomography and confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscopy. J Glaucoma. 2009;18:101-6.
- Cheung CY, Leung CK, Lin D, Pang CP, Lam DS. Relationship between retinal nerve fiber layer measurement and signal strength in optical coherence tomography. Ophthalmology. 2008;115:1347-5.
Retinal ganglion cells imaging and neuroprotection
In collaboration with Prof. Robert Weinreb at the Hamilton Glaucoma Center of UCSD, an animal model was developed to visualize individual retinal neurons in vivo. This model provides a non-invasive approach for longitudinal study of the mechanism of retinal ganglion cell degeneration and the effect of neuroprotective agents.
- Leung CK, Weinreb RN. Experimental detection of retinal ganglion cell damage in vivo. Exp Eye Res. 2009;88:831-6.
- Leung CK, Lindsey JD, Chen L, Liu Q, Weinreb RN. Longitudinal profile of retinal ganglion cell damage assessed with blue-light confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscopy after ischaemic reperfusion injury. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009;93:964-8.
- Leung CK, Lindsey JD, Crowston JG, Lijia C, Chiang S, Weinreb RN. Longitudinal profile of retinal ganglion cell damage after optic nerve crush with blue-light confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscopy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:4898-902.
Anterior segment imaging
Angle closure glaucoma is a major cause of blindness in Asia. In collaboration with Prof. Robert Ritch at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, the investigators are investigating the morphology of the anterior chamber angle and other biometric risk factors in relation to angle closure glaucoma.
- Leung CK, Palmiero PM, Weinreb RN, Li HT, Sbeity Z, Dorairaj S, Leung DY, Liu S, Liebmann JM, Congdon NG, Lam DS, Ritch R. Comparisons of anterior segment dimensions between Chinese and Caucasians with anterior segment optical coherence tomography. BJO. 2009 In Press.
- Liu S, Li H, Dorairaj S, Cheung CY, Rousso J, Liebmann J, Ritch R, Lam DS, Leung CK. Assessment of Scleral Spur Visibility With Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography. J Glaucoma. 2009 In Press.
- Leung CK, Li H, Weinreb RN, Liu J, Cheung CY, Lai RY, Pang CP, Lam DS. Anterior chamber angle measurement with anterior segment optical coherence tomography: a comparison between slit lamp OCT and Visante OCT. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008;49:3469-74.
Other recent publication on clinical application of ocular imaging technologies
- Chan CK, Cheng AC, Leung CK, Cheung CY, Yung AY, Gong B, Lam DS. Quantitative assessment of optic nerve head morphology and retinal nerve fibre layer in non-arteritic anterior ischaemic optic neuropathy with optical coherence tomography and confocal scanning laser ophthalmoloscopy. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009;93:731-5.
- Wong AL, Leung CK, Weinreb RN, Cheng AK, Cheung CY, Lam PT, Pang CP, Lam DS. Quantitative assessment of lens opacities with anterior segment optical coherence tomography. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009;93:61-5.
- Rao SK, Leung CK, Cheung CY, Li EY, Cheng AC, Lam PT, Lam DS. Descemet stripping endothelial keratoplasty: effect of the surgical procedure on corneal optics. Am J Ophthalmol. 2008;145:991-6.