Prof NG Tsz Kin Michael 伍子建教授
BSc (HKUST), PhD (CUHK)
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Professor and Laboratory Director, Joint Shantou International Eye Center of Shantou University and The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Dr Ng graduated in Biochemistry from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology with First Class honors in 2006 and completed his PhD research program in Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) in 2010, followed by 3-year post-doctoral research in the CUHK and Miami Veterans Affair Medical Center, USA.
In 2013, Dr Ng was appointed as the Assistant Professor in Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences at the CUHK. He also serves as an instructor for the Program for the Gifted and Talented in the Faculty of Education, a supervisor for the Summer Undergraduate Research Programme as well as a committee member for the Health and Spiritual Well-being Committee of Wu Yee Sun College at the CUHK.
Dr Ng serves as Editorial Board Member for the Current Tissue Engineering and 2 other international journals. He is also an academic reviewer for Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO) and other 15 international journals.
He has contributed 38 publications in SCI international peer review journals and 1 book chapter. Dr Ng was granted 1 million dollars by the Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF) on the green tea research for the treatment of age-related macular degeneration.
- Biology and preclinical trial of human adult stem cells on ocular diseases.
- Therapeutic effects of herbal medicine and bioactive molecules on ocular diseases.
- Molecular mechanisms of retinal ganglion cell and retinal pigment epithelial cell differentiation and regeneration.
- Molecular genetics of myopia, age-related macular degeneration and glaucoma.
- Yang Y, Qin YJ, Yip YW, Chan KP, Chu KO, Chu WK, Ng TK, Pang CP, Chan SO. Green tea catechins are potent anti-oxidants that ameliorate sodium iodate-induced retinal degeneration in rats. Sci Rep. 2016; 6:29546.
- Ng TK, Liang XY, Lai TY, Ma L, Tam PO, Wang JX, Chen LJ, Chen H, Pang CP. HTRA1 promoter variant differentiates polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy from exudative age-related macular degeneration. Sci Rep. 2016; 6:28639.
- Chen JH, Huang C, Zhang B, Yin S, Liang J, Xu C, Huang Y, Cen LP, Ng TK, Zheng C, Zhang S, Chen H, Pang CP, Zhang M. Mutations of RagA GTPase in mTORC1 pathway are associated with autosomal dominant cataracts. PLoS Genet. 2016; 12:e1006090.
- Ng TK, Yung JS, Choy KW, Cao D, Leung CK, Cheung HS, Pang CP. Transdifferentiation of periodontal ligament-derived stem cells into retinal ganglion-like cells and its microRNA signature. Sci Rep. 2015; 5:16429.
- Ng TK, Huang L, Cao D, Yip YW, Tsang WM, Yam GH, Pang CP, Cheung HS. Cigarette smoking hinders human periodontal ligament-derived stem cell proliferation, migration and differentiation potentials. Sci Rep. 2015; 5:7828.
- Qin YJ, Chan SO, Chong KK, Li BF, Ng TK, Yip YW, Chen H, Zhang M, Block NL, Cheung HS, Schally AV, Pang CP. Antagonist of GH-releasing hormone receptors alleviates experimental ocular inflammation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014; 111:18303-8.
- Yang Y, Ng TK, Ye C, Yip YW, Law K, Chan SO, Pang CP. Assessing sodium iodate-induced outer retinal changes in rats using confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscopy and optical coherence tomography. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2014; 55:1696-705.
- Ng TK, Carballosa CM, Pelaez D, Wong HK, Choy KW, Pang CP, Cheung HS. Nicotine alters microRNA expression and hinders human adult stem cell regenerative potential. Stem Cells Dev 2013; 22:781-790.
- Ng TK, Yam GH, Chen WQ, Lee VY, Chen H, Chen LJ, Choy KW, Yang Z, Pang CP. Interactive expressions of HtrA1 and VEGF in human vitreous humors and fetal RPE cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2011; 52:3706-3712.
- Ng TK, Chen LJ, Liu DT, Tam PO, Chan WM, Liu K, Hu YJ, Chong KK, Lau CS, Chiang SW, Lam DS, Pang CP. Multiple gene polymorphisms in the complement factor H gene are associated with exudative age-related macular degeneration in Chinese. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2008; 49:3312-17.