CUHK-HKEH-PWH International Ophthalmology Fellowship
Cornea And External Eye Diseases
Cornea And External Eye Diseases Programme Director
Dr LAM Nai Man Ben
Clinical Associate Professor (Honorary), CUHK
Deputy Hospital Chief Executive, HKEH
Dr WONG Wing Yee Victoria
Clinical Associate Professor (Honorary), Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, CUHK
Dr JHANJI Vishal
MBBS, MD, FRCS (Glasgow), FRCOphth (UK)
Clinicial Professor (Honorary), Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, CUHK
Dr CHOW Wing See Vanissa
Clinical Assistant Professor (Honorary), Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, CUHK
Associate Consultant, HKEH
Dr CHAN Chung Yan Tommy
MBBS (HK), M Med Sc (HK), FRCS (Edin), FRCS (Glasg), FCOphth (HK), FHKAM (Ophth), PGDipClinDerm (Lond)
Clinical Assistant Professor (Honorary), Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Deputizing Director, CUHK Refractive Surgery Centre
Honorary Associate Consultant, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
The Cornea and External Eye (CEE) Diseases Service of the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences operates at both the Hong Kong Eye Hospital and the Prince of Wales Hospital, the teaching hospitals of the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Our 4 CEE Subspecialty Clinics serve the populations living in Kowloon and the eastern region of the New Territories in Hong Kong, and are well attended by up to 300 patients each week.
CEE Fellows of the CUHK-HKEH Joint International Ophthalmology Fellowship Programme will actively participate in all clinical services and various research projects. During the Fellowship, each Fellow should aim to be the Principal Investigator of at least 1 CEE research project at CUHK. At the conclusion of the Fellowship, each Fellow should be confident in the diagnosis and treatment of common CEE diseases, and should have at least 1 publication as first author arising from research done during his / her CUHK Fellowship.
Clinical Attachment for CEE
- Up to 4 CEE Clinics per week at Hong Kong Eye Hospital and Prince of Wales Hospital
- At least 1 CEE Operating List per week
- At least 1 CEE Imaging Session per month
Surgical Procedures at Hong Kong Eye Hospital and Prince of Wales Hospital
- Keratoplasty (simple and combined)
- Deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty
- Endothelial Keratoplasty
- Ocular Surface Reconstruction – limbal stem cell +/- amniotic membrane +/- other types of grafting
- Collagen Cross Linking
Imaging Modalities at Hong Kong Eye Hospital and Prince of Wales Hospital
- Anterior Segment OCT
- Confocal Microscopy
- Ultrasound bio microscopy
Main Areas of Research Interest
The CUHK CEE Subspecialty has a track record in covering comprehensively all major key areas of anterior segment conditions. Our broad interest includes laboratory, clinical and surgical studies, ranging from corneal erosion, anterior segment imaging, ocular surface reconstruction to keratoplasty. The faculty are recognised internationally and delivered many lectures and courses both locally & overseas.
Major Recent Publications:
- Young AL, Leung KS, Tsim N, Hui M, Jhanji V. Risk Factors, Microbiological Profile, and Treatment Outcomes of Pediatric Microbial Keratitis in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Hong Kong. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013 Aug 20. doi:pii: S0002-9394(13)00417-0. 10.1016/j.ajo.2013.06.019. [Epub ahead of print]
- Luk AS, Young AL, Cheng LL. Long-term outcome of scleral-fixated intraocular lens implantation. Br J Ophthalmol. 2013 Jul 22. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2013-303625. [Epub ahead of print]
- Chow VW, Biswas S, Yu M, Wong VW, Jhanji V. Intraoperative pachymetry using spectral-domain optical coherence tomography during accelerated corneal collagen crosslinking. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:848363. doi: 10.1155/2013/848363. Epub 2013 Jul 25.
- Young AL, Ho M, Jhanji V, Cheng LL. Ten-Year Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing 0.02% Mitomycin C and Limbal Conjunctival Autograft in Pterygium Surgery. Ophthalmology. 2013 Jul 16. doi:pii: S0161-6420(13)00490-9. 10.1016/j.ophtha.2013.05.033. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wan KH, Chen LJ, Rong, SS, Pang CP, Young AL. Topical Cyclosporine in the Treatment of Allergic Conjunctivitis: a Meta-analysis. Ophthalmology. 2013 Jun 3. doi:pii: S0161-6420(13)00329-1. 10.1016/j.ophtha.2013.03.044. [Epub ahead of print]
- Young AL, Kam KW, Jhanji V, Cheng LL, Rao SK. A new era in corneal transplantation: paradigm shift and evolution of techniques. Hong Kong Med J. 2012 Dec;18(6):509-16.
- Jhanji V, Young AL, Mehta JS, Sharma N, Agarwal T, Vajpayee RB. Management of corneal perforation. Surv Ophthalmol. 2011 Nov;56(6):522-38.
- Young AL, Leung GY, Cheng LL, Lau TT, Lam PT, Lam DS. Randomised controlled trial on the effectiveness of lidocaine gel vs tetracaine drops as the sole topical anaesthetic agent for primary pterygium surgery. Eye (Lond). 2009 Jul;23(7):1518-23. Epub 2008 Nov 7.
- Young AL, Tam PM, Leung GY, Cheng LL, Lam PT, Lam DS. Prospective study on the safety and efficacy of combined conjunctival rotational autograft with intraoperative 0.02% mitomycin C in primary pterygium excision. Cornea. 2009 Feb;28(2):166-9.
- Wong VW*, Chi SC, Lam DS. Diamond-burr polishing for recurrent corneal erosions: results from a prospective randomized controlled trial. Cornea 2009;28(2):152-6.