Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences of the Chinese University of Hong Kong invites eligible children to participate in the study of “Evaluation of different concentration of low dose atropine in retarding myopia progression”
**All Places Filled**
- Age 4 to 12
- Myopia : SE -1 to -10 D
- Astigmatism: < 2.5 D
- Anisometropia : < 2.0 D
- Myopia progression > 0.5 D for BE in one year
- Ophthalmic diseases other than refractive errors
- Previous use of treatment of atropine
- Allergy or intolerance to atropine
- Participate in the research programme is on a voluntary basis.
- Subjects must undergo detailed eye assessment and thorough examination by our doctors to determine the eligibility in joining and to continue the research programme.
- The research programme will be continued for two and half years. We will observe the extent of myopic progression of subjects for the first half year. Then, the subjects will be given the atropine eye drops or placebo eye drops for treatment for 2 years. Treatment may be able to reduce the myopic progression.
- Subjects need to attend for regular eye examinations throughout the research period. The research programme will include 10 follow up visits.
- Subjects and their parents will have blood or buccal swab taken for genetic analysis.
- The consultation will be free of charges. HK$300 per each visit will be charged for basic cost of investigations such as biometry measurement and refraction. (For those children from family receiving Comprehensive Social Security Assistance (CSSA), the fee of HK$300 of each visit will be waived).
For inquiries, please call our office at 3943-5869 during office hours from Monday to Friday or visit CUHK Eye Centre at 3/F Hong Kong Eye Hospital.