Prof THAM Chee Yung Clement 譚智勇講座教授
BM BCh (Oxon), FCOphth (HK), FHKAM (Ophth), FRCOphth, FRCS (Glas), FCSHK
S.H. Ho Professor of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Chairman, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Director, CUHK Eye Centre
Honorary Consultant, New Territories East Cluster Ophthalmology Service
Vice President and Fellowship Examiner, The College of Ophthalmologists of Hong Kong (COHK)
Deputy Director, Joint Shantou International Eye Center
Secretary General & CEO, Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO)
Vice President, Asia-Pacific Glaucoma Society (APGS)
Chair, Academia Ophthalmologica Internationalis (AOI)
Office tel.: (852) 3943 5823
Fax no.: (852) 2715 9490
Make a clinic appointment
Tel: (852) 3943 5886
Prof. Clement Tham graduated from Oxford Medical School in 1993, after receiving his first degree in the medical sciences at Cambridge University. He joined the Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences of the CUHK in 2003. Prof. Tham was appointed Clinical Professor at CUHK in 2009, and then S.H. Ho Professor of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences at CUHK in 2012. Prof. Tham became Honorary Chief-of-Service of Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences at the Prince of Wales Hospital and Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital in 2010. In 2011, Prof. Tham was appointed Honorary Chief-of-Service at Hong Kong Eye Hospital. Prof. Tham was appointed as the Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences of the CUHK in August 2015.
For his work in the prevention of blindness, Prof. Tham was awarded the inaugural Nakajima Award by the APAO in 2005. In the same year, Prof. Tham was one of the awardees of the Ten Outstanding Young Persons Award in Hong Kong. Prof. Tham received the Achievement Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) in 2008, the APAO Achievement Award in 2010, the APAO Outstanding Service in Prevention of Blindness Award in 2011, and the APAO Distinguished Service Award in 2013., Prof. Tham presented the APAO Holmes Lecture at the 28th APAO Congress 2013 Hyderabad, the APAO De Ocampo Lecture at the 30th APAO Congress 2015 Guangzhou, and the Honored International Lecture at the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) in San Diego in 2015. Prof. Tham has also received numerous other awards in recognition of his contributions to research and teaching in the field of glaucoma.
The primary academic interest of Prof. Tham lies in angle closure glaucoma, as well as the laser and surgical treatments of glaucoma. Prof. Tham’s earlier work established a role for argon laser peripheral iridoplasty in the treatment of acute primary angle closure and other forms of angle closure glaucoma. More recently, his randomized controlled trials provided insight into the roles of lens extraction and other glaucoma surgeries in both acute and chronic primary angle closure glaucoma eyes. Prof. Tham was a member of the research consortium that identified the first genetic mutation associated with primary angle closure glaucoma.
- Tham CC, Kwong YY, Baig N, Leung DY, Li FC, Lam DS.
Phacoemulsification versus trabeculectomy in medically uncontrolled chronic angle-closure glaucoma without cataract. Ophthalmology. 2013;120(1):62-7.
- Tham CC, Kwong YY, Leung DY, Lam SW, Li FC, Chiu TY, Chan JC, Lam DS, Lai JS. Phacoemulsification versus phaco-trabeculectomy in chronic angle-closure glaucoma with cataract: complications. Arch Ophthalmol. 2010;128(3):303-11.
Featured in the Journal Highlights section of Eyenet in March 2010.
- Tham CC, Leung DY, Kwong YY, Li FC, Lai JS, Lam DS. Effects of phacoemulsification versus combined phaco-trabeculectomy on drainage angle status in primary angle closure glaucoma (PACG). J Glaucoma. 2010;19(2):119-23.
- Tham CC, Kwong YY, Leung DY, Lam SW, Li FC, Chiu TY, Chan JC, Lam DS, Lai JS. Phacoemulsification versus combined phaco-trabeculectomy in medically-uncontrolled chronic angle closure glaucoma with cataract. Ophthalmology. 2009;116(4):725-31, 731.e1-3.
- Tham CC, Kwong YY, Leung DY, Lam SW, Li FC, Chiu TY, Chan JC, Chan CH, Poon AS, Yick DW, Chi CC, Lam DS, Lai JS. Phacoemulsification versus combined phaco-trabeculectomy in medically-controlled chronic angle closure glaucoma with cataract. Ophthalmology. 2008;115(12):2167-2173.e2.
- Tham CC, Kwong YY, Lai JS, Lam DS. Effect of a previous acute angle closure attack on the corneal endothelial cell density in chronic angle-closure glaucoma patients. J Glaucoma. 2006;15(6):482-5.
- Tham CC, Li FC, Leung DY, Kwong YY, Yick DW, Lam DS. Microincisional bimanual phaco-trabeculectomy in eye of co-existing glaucoma and cataract. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2006;32(11):1917-20.
- Tham CC, Lai JS, Poon AS, Chan JC, Lam SW, Chua JK, Lam DS. Immediate argon laser peripheral iridoplasty (ALPI) as initial treatment for acute phacomorphic angle-closure (phacomorphic glaucoma) before cataract extraction: a preliminary study. Eye (Lond). 2005;19(7):778-83.
- Lu Y, Vitart V, Burdon KP, Khor CC, Bykhovskaya Y, Mirshahi A, Hewitt AW, Koehn D, Hysi PG, Ramdas WD, Zeller T, Vithana EN, Cornes BK, Tay WT, Tai ES, Cheng CY, Liu J, Foo JN, Saw SM, Thorleifsson G, Stefansson K, Dimasi DP, Mills RA, Mountain J, Ang W, Hoehn R, Verhoeven VJ, Grus F, Wolfs R, Castagne R, Lackner KJ, Springelkamp H, Yang J, Jonasson F, Leung DY, Chen LJ, Tham CC, Rudan I, Vatavuk Z, Hayward C, Gibson J, Cree AJ, Macleod A, Ennis S, Polasek O, Campbell H, Wilson JF, Viswanathan AC, Fleck B, Li X, Siscovick D, Taylor KD, Rotter JI, Yazar S, Ulmer M, Li J, Yaspan BL, Ozel AB, Richards JE, Moroi SE, Haines JL, Kang JH, Pasquale LR, Allingham RR, Ashley-Koch A; NEIGHBOR Consortium, Mitchell P, Wang JJ, Wright AF, Pennell C, Spector TD, Young TL, Klaver CC, Martin NG, Montgomery GW, Anderson MG, Aung T, Willoughby CE, Wiggs JL, Pang CP, Thorsteinsdottir U, Lotery AJ, Hammond CJ, van Duijn CM, Hauser MA, Rabinowitz YS, Pfeiffer N, Mackey DA, Craig JE, Macgregor S, Wong TY. Genome-wide association analyses identify multiple loci associated with central corneal thickness and keratoconus. Nat Genet. 2013;45(2):155-63.
- Vithana EN, Khor CC, Qiao C, Nongpiur ME, George R, Chen LJ, Do T, Abu-AmeroK, Huang CK, Low S, Tajudin LS, Perera SA, Cheng CY, Xu L, Jia H, Ho CL, Sim KS, Wu RY, Tham CC, Chew PT, Su DH, Oen FT, Sarangapani S, Soumittra N, Osman EA,Wong HT, Tang G, Fan S, Meng H, Huong DT, Wang H, Feng B, Baskaran M, Shantha B, Ramprasad VL, Kumaramanickavel G, Iyengar SK, How AC, Lee KY, Sivakumaran TA,Yong VH, Ting SM, Li Y, Wang YX, Tay WT, Sim X, Lavanya R, Cornes BK, Zheng YF, Wong TT, Loon SC, Yong VK, Waseem N, Yaakub A, Chia KS, Allingham RR, Hauser MA, Lam DS, Hibberd ML, Bhattacharya SS, Zhang M, Teo YY, Tan DT, Jonas JB, Tai ES, Saw SM, Hon do N, Al-Obeidan SA, Liu J, Chau TN, Simmons CP, Bei JX, Zeng YX, Foster PJ, Vijaya L, Wong TY, Pang CP, Wang N, Aung T. Genome-wide association analyses identify three new susceptibility loci for primary angle closure glaucoma. Nat Genet. 2012;44(10):1142-6.