Prof LEUNG Kai Shun Christopher 梁啟信教授
MBChB(CUHK), MD (CUHK), BMedSc, MSc (Lond), FCOphth (HK), FHKAM
Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Head, Graduate Division, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Adjunct Professor, Division of Biomedical Engineering, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Honorary Consultant, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
Honorary Consultant, New Territories East Cluster Ophthalmology Service
Honorary Consultant, Department of Ophthalmology, Caritas Medical Centre
Office tel.: (852) 3943 5846
Fax no.: (852) 2715 9490
Make a clinic appointment
Tel: (852) 3943 5886
Prof Christopher Leung is a clinician-scientist with research focus on glaucoma investigation and management. He was awarded the Chevening Postgraduate Scholarship in 1996 to study molecular medicine at the Imperial College London and the Croucher Foundation Fellowship in 2006 to complete a clinical and research fellowship in glaucoma at the Hamilton Glaucoma Center, the University of California, San Diego (UCSD).
Prof Leung is Section Editor of British Journal of Ophthalmology, Contributing Editor of International Glaucoma Review, Editorial Board Member of Ophthalmic Epidemiology, Translational Vision Science & Technology, and Ocular Surgery News (Asia Pacific Edition), and reviewer of over 30 peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Prof Leung has received a number of research and service awards including the National Best Paper on Prevention of Blindness in the World Ophthalmology Congress (2006), UCSD Schanzlin Research Award (2007), American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award (2008), Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology Nakajima Award (2010), Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award (2010), Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Alcon Clinician-Scientist Research Award (2010), Asia Pacific Joint Glaucoma Congress Young Scientist Award (2010), World Glaucoma Congress Science Award (2009 and 2011), Asia-Pacific Glaucoma Society Young Investigator Award (2012), American Academy of Ophthalmology Secretariat Award (2012), Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology Distinguished Service Award (2014), and American Academy of Ophthalmology Senior Achievement Award (2015).
- Application of advanced imaging technologies for early detection and monitoring of glaucoma.
- Investigation of new laser procedures and surgical devices for lowering the intraocular pressure
- Development of new therapies to protect and regenerate retinal ganglion cells in glaucoma and other optic neuropathies.
- Wu Z, Xu G, Weinreb RN, Yu M, Leung CK. Optic Nerve Head Deformation in Glaucoma: A Prospective Analysis of Optic Nerve Head Surface and Lamina Cribrosa Surface Displacement. Ophthalmology. 2015;122:1317-29.
- Xu G, Weinreb RN, Leung CK. Optic Nerve Head Deformation in Glaucoma: The Temporal Relationship between Optic Nerve Head Surface Depression and Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Thinning. Ophthalmology 2014;121:2362-70.
- Liu S, Yu M, Weinreb RN, Lai G, Lam DS, Leung CK. Frequency-doubling technology perimetry for detection of the development of visual field defects in glaucoma suspect eyes: a prospective study. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014;132:77-83.
- Leung CK, Ye C, Weinreb RN, Yu M, Lai G, Lam DS. Impact of Age-related Change of Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer and Macular Thicknesses on Evaluation of Glaucoma Progression. Ophthalmology. 2013;120:2485-92.
- Xu G, Weinreb RN, Leung CK. Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Progression in Glaucoma: A Comparison between Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Thickness and Retardance. Ophthalmology. 2013;120:2493-500.
- Mak H, Xu G, Leung CK. Imaging the Iris with Swept Source Optical Coherence Tomography – Relationship between Iris Volume and Primary Angle Closure. Ophthalmology. 2013; 120:2517-24.
- Lai I, Mak H, Leung CK. Anterior chamber angle imaging with swept-source optical coherence tomography – Measuring peripheral synechia in glaucoma. Ophthalmology 2013;120:1144-9.
- Leung CK, Yu M, Weinreb RN, Liu S, Ye C, Lam DS. Retinal nerve fiber layer imaging with spectral-domain optical coherence tomography: a prospective analysis on age-related loss. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:731-7.
- He S, Ye C, Sun Q, Leung CK, Qu JY. Label-free nonlinear optical imaging of mouse retina. Biomed Opt Express. 2015; 6:1055-66.
- Leung CK, Weinreb RN, Li ZW, Liu S, Lindsey JD, Choi N, Liu L, Cheung CY, Ye C, Qui K, Chen LJ, Yung WH, Crowston JG, Pu M, So KF, Pang CP, Lam DS. Long‐term In vivo Imaging and Measurement of Dendritic Shrinkage of Retinal Ganglion Cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:1539-47.