Dr CHONG Kam Lung Kelvin 莊金隆助理教授
MB.ChB (Hon, CUHK), MRCS(Edin), FCOphth (HK), FHKAM (Ophth)
Assistant Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Coordinator, Orbital and Oculoplastic Surgery Service, New Territories East Cluster Ophthalmology Service
Honorary Associate Consultant, Hong Kong Eye Hospital
Honorary Associate Consultant, New Territories East Cluster Ophthalmology
Office tel.: (852) 3943 5824
Fax no.: (852) 2715 9490
Make a clinic appointment
Tel: (852) 3943 5886
Dr Kelvin Chong’s clinical and research interest focus in orbital, oculofacial surgery, and related cell biology. He graduated at the top of his class in the Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (CUHK) program. He was awarded the Li Po Chun Charitable Trust Fund Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship for his observership at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) and LA Biomedical Institute where he returned for a 2-year international surgical (preceptor: Prof. Robert Goldberg) and translational research (Preceptor: Prof. Terry Smith and Dr Raymond Douglas) fellowship. His awards included the City Lion Club Gold Medal, Action for Vision Eye Foundation Young Researcher of the Year, Exemplary Eye Resident Award, Achievement Awards from American Academy of Ophthalmology and Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology. He has published more than 36 SCI indexed peer-reviewed articles and 4 book chapters.
Dr. Chong serves as the Coordinator of the Orbital and Oculoplastic Surgery at the Prince of Wales Hospital and the Associate Director of the CUHK Laser Refractive Surgery Center. He is the vice President of Hong Kong Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (HKSOPRS), First vice-President of the Asia-Pacific Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (APSOPRS) and council member of the International Thyroid Eye Disease Society (ITEDS). He is recently inducted into the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS).
1. Mohs micrographic surgery for periocular tumor. (CUHK Direct grant 2007)
2. Clinical and translational research on thyroid associated orbitopathy (TAO)/ thyroid eye disease (TED).(CUHK Direct grant 2013, 2014, 2015)
3. Image-guided orbital surgeries (Nethersole Charity Foundation 2012-5)
4. Endoscopic lacrimal and orbital surgeries (Nethersole Charity Foundation 2015-8)
5. 3-dimensional printing in orbital fracture repair (Innovation and Technology Fund 2016-8)
6. Adult stem cells research in Ophthalmology.
7. Laser refractive and laser-assisted cataract surgery.
- Wan KH, Chong KK, Young AL. The Role of Computer-Assisted Technology in Post-Traumatic Orbital Reconstruction: A PRISMA-driven Systematic Review. Sci Rep. 2015 Dec 8;5:17914. (co-first author)
- Wong KH, Rong SS, Chong KK, Young AL, Pang CP, Chen LJ. Genetic Associations of Interleukin-related Genes with Graves’ Ophthalmopathy: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Sci Rep. 2015 Nov 18;5:16672
- Wong RC, Yu M, Chan TC, Chong KK, Jhanji V. Longitudinal comparison of outcomes after sub-bowman keratomileusis and laser in situ keratomileusis: randomized, double-masked study. Am J Ophthalmol. 2015 May;159(5):835-845
- Chong KK, Lai F, Ho M, Luk A, Wong B, Young A. Randomized trial on Silicone intubation in Endoscopic Mechanical Dacryocystorhinostomy for acquired nasolacrimal duct obstruction –SEND. Ophthalmology. 2013 Oct; 120(10):2139-45.
- Chong KK, Goldberg RA. Lateral canthal surgery. Facial Plast Surg. 2010 Aug;26(3):193-200
- Chong KK, Khanna D, Afifiyan NF, Hwang CJ, Lee DK, Garneau HC, Goldberg RA, Darwin CH, Smith TJ, Douglas RS. Rituximab treatment of patients with severe, corticosteroid-resistant thyroid-associated ophthalmopathy. Ophthalmology. 2010 Jan;117(1):133-139 (co-first author)
- Douglas RS, Afifiyan NF, Hwang CJ, Chong KK, Gianoukakis A, Sand D, Smith TJ. Increased generation of fibrocytes in thyroid-associated ophthalmopathy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Jan;95(1):430-8.
- Chong KK, Fan DS, Lai CH, Rao SK, Lam PTH, Lam DS. Unilateral ptosis correction with mersilene mesh frontalis sling in infants: thirteen-year follow-up report. Eye (Lond). 2010 Jan;24(1):44-9.
- Chong KK, Chiang SW, Wong GW, Tam PO, Ng TK, Hu YJ, Yam GH, Lam DS, Pang CP. Association of CTLA-4, IL-13 Gene polymorphism with Graves’ disease and ophthalmopathy in Chinese children. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008 Feb 22
- Chong KK, WM Chan Looking for the obvious. Lancet. 2005 Jul 12:366(9480):175